Options

DHS has approved 1000 new Cybersecurity jobs for 2016

TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
For those that are interested DHS has approved 1000 new cyber security jobs after OPM hacks. More information here Forbes Welcome

Comments

• Options
    CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just wonder where they plan to pull 1000 qualified* people with the proper KSA's* from? My org is going through this as well, their plan is to stand up an entire cyber branch full of all these awesome cyber hero's that we'll bring on and put stop to cyber attacks! They don't understand the talent shortage in this domain, and that nobody qualified is sitting by the phone waiting for a call to come work for us, when top level Orgs that pay the big money can't even fill their slots with truly qualified* people.

Train the people you have in offensive tactics so they have a true understanding of what they're defending. Conduct real phishing attacks quarterly against your users, not just brief them on PowerPoint "if you click this link bad stuff will happen". Etc..

Bringing in more cert warriors that meet 8570 requirements and may look good on paper but don't have a true understanding of this domain, is not the answer.

/rant
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agree with Codyy. If the DHS would pay more they would attract more talent.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Seven years ago I applied and interviewed for a Federal job at the Federal Aviation Administration. It was a job for next-gen, which was the overall name they give for projects to modernize the air traffic control system using GPS navigation. Anyone who has ever applied for a federal job is it's pretty tough to even get an interview, let alone hired. I brushed up on my networking knowledge/skills figuring they would be asking me these kind of questions. I was more than a little surprised they were looking for someone to be able to service/repair there POT wiring phone system.

My point is just because they say they are hiring for cyber security positions doesn't mean they really are. They could use the program title to hire positions completely unrelated to cyber security. Needless to say I didn't get the job, I was completely unprepared for the questions they asked me. I was expecting cutting edge stuff, they were asking about old technologies that should have been replaced years ago.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    People keep asking me how to get into IT security because they see articles like this. I tell them they need a background in IT first. This shortage is going to get worse over the years and while I think you can train people I also think the shortage is because there is just a shortage of people who are naturally drawn to the IT field in general.

I think this shortage is going to create an even bigger demand for "turn key" security solutions and hiring people to watch for alerts all day. There will still be a huge shortage of people who can actively work against external network attacks.
  • Options
    John-JohnJohn-John Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds interesting but trying to find the jobs is a little like going down a rabbit hole.
    Goals for 2019: CISSP[x] CCNA-SEC [x] CEH[x]
    Goals for 2020: OSCP [] eCPPT[] eNDP[]