Options

Government job question

bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
How many of you are GS employees? I got a call 2 weeks ago from a guy saying he loved my resume and I was his "go-to" for a GS position. He told me the location and everything that I would be doing. Close-out was 2 days ago. How long did it take for you guys to hear anything back when you acquired a government job? Were you ever called before close-out? If so, did you ever attempt to contact the person who called you?

I have been in the job search for awhile and I am anxious since this would be a lucky break for me.
"If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon

Comments

• Options
    TechnicalJayTechnicalJay Member Posts: 219 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've been Government desktop support for almost two years now. I faxed my resume and heard back the next day for an interview. After the interview with HR and the IT manager I think it took close to two weeks for the job offer. This was because HR was playing phone tag with my last reference. I'm sure it would of been much sooner if they talked right away. I think I was hired on a Wednesday and started the next Monday.

Edit* If you haven't heard anything in 2 weeks and the close out was 2 days ago it's not looking very good unfortunately.
  • Options
    gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've worked for the federal government for the last 10+ years but moving to a contract position in the next couple of weeks. I used to be HR in government too so I'll let you know it usually takes WEEKS/MONTHS for anything to move. This is for a number of reasons that would take too long to explain here.

Now, I will say, I have seen some people to be lucky enough to be processed quickly (2-3 weeks) but most of the time, it's about a 3-5 month time frame or longer. I've also seen candidates "pipelined", which means the hiring manager will tell the candidate there is a position available, and then drag out the hiring process and/or onboarding process for up to 14 months (the longest possible per our policy). This is usually because of funding issues, positions vacancy issues, etc. The government has, in the last few years, been doing this to have people waiting to quickly fill positions on their end, however, this isn't fair for those candidates who mistaken believe they will be starting soon.

Hopefully you'll be like the hiring manager stated and be his/her "go-to" for a position. This person is the hiring manager, right? Or else that's a whole other ball of wax.

Also, is this with a clearance and if so, do you currently hold one? This will be another time factor too. That will add about another 3-6 months to it.
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Anywhere between 3-12 months. My current job took a year after the initial resume and one before that was 6 months. My current closed 5 months before I started.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, I do have a clearance (the one required) but I do not know for sure if the guy I talked to (a LtCol) was the hiring authority. I havent gotten an email that I am being considered yet, though I am sure it can take some time. Only reason I seem impatient is I have another possible job opportunity as a contractor and they need my answer soon.

I did email the guy who contacted me (tried calling him) to see if he had any information. I guess, at this point, I would just be happy to know I am officially being considered.
  • Options
    gncsmith wrote: »
    I've worked for the federal government for the last 10+ years but moving to a contract position in the next couple of weeks. I used to be HR in government too so I'll let you know it usually takes WEEKS/MONTHS for anything to move. This is for a number of reasons that would take too long to explain here.

Now, I will say, I have seen some people to be lucky enough to be processed quickly (2-3 weeks) but most of the time, it's about a 3-5 month time frame or longer. I've also seen candidates "pipelined", which means the hiring manager will tell the candidate there is a position available, and then drag out the hiring process and/or onboarding process for up to 14 months (the longest possible per our policy). This is usually because of funding issues, positions vacancy issues, etc. The government has, in the last few years, been doing this to have people waiting to quickly fill positions on their end, however, this isn't fair for those candidates who mistaken believe they will be starting soon.

Hopefully you'll be like the hiring manager stated and be his/her "go-to" for a position. This person is the hiring manager, right? Or else that's a whole other ball of wax.

Also, is this with a clearance and if so, do you currently hold one? This will be another time factor too. That will add about another 3-6 months to it.

Seems like the US government does things a bit different. Why they would make anyone wait that long and not even tell you that you got the job is beyond insane.
  • Options
    Cyberscum wrote: »
    Anywhere between 3-12 months. My current job took a year after the initial resume and one before that was 6 months. My current closed 5 months before I started.

The only reason I see you getting a call 5 months after the close date without any notice of having the position in the first place would be because the person before you didn't work out.
  • Options
    DarxtarDarxtar Member Posts: 30 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you haven't already, you should make an account on USAJobs, post your resume, and set up a job search for occupational series 2210. You can also fine tune your search for area, pay, etc.
    Ph.D. in Information Systems Security
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The only reason I see you getting a call 5 months after the close date without any notice of having the position in the first place would be because the person before you didn't work out.

It was a hiring freeze after the positions were advertised.
  • Options
    Darxtar wrote: »
    If you haven't already, you should make an account on USAJobs, post your resume, and set up a job search for occupational series 2210. You can also fine tune your search for area, pay, etc.

yeah, thats how I applied for the position in the first place.
  • Options
    JohnmuellerJohnmueller Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I currently work at a Navy base as an ISSO with a contractor. Our Dept ISSM asked me on Dec. 9th if I'd be interested in the Team Leader job in our Cyber Security Work Force group. I said yes. As of today it's been 3 months and just 2 days ago I got an official job offer. This was with a Direct Hire Approval as well. They're saying another month or so with all the security paperwork, etc. I currently have a TS/SCI and hopefully will be testing for my CISSP in about a month. So yes, the process takes FOREVER. But once you're in, you're in.
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats John,

Do you happen to be in the Hampton Roads area?
  • Options
    I currently work at a Navy base as an ISSO with a contractor. Our Dept ISSM asked me on Dec. 9th if I'd be interested in the Team Leader job in our Cyber Security Work Force group. I said yes. As of today it's been 3 months and just 2 days ago I got an official job offer. This was with a Direct Hire Approval as well. They're saying another month or so with all the security paperwork, etc. I currently have a TS/SCI and hopefully will be testing for my CISSP in about a month. So yes, the process takes FOREVER. But once you're in, you're in.

This definitely makes me feel better as I am still waiting. Its only been 40 days since closeout so I just need to be patient. I wish they communicated with us better, though!

I also found out that the guy who called me is the hiring authority and I am officially eligble, via inquiry to AFPC. Though, they couldnt tell me if I was hired, they could tell me that I am still eligble.
  • Options
    psheehan5psheehan5 Member Posts: 80 ■■■□□□□□□□
    last year I got a GS job offer about 9 weeks after the interview. Unfortunately, I had already taken another job. Hard to get good talent in the Civil Service realm if they can't move on good candidates in a timely manner.
  • Options
    xengorethxengoreth Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Most of the folks I know in GS positions or that have applied to them have indicated it always takes months. I've never personally heard of anything GS coming through in less than several months.

I applied for one GS position a few weeks ago and have already heard back that "I was not among the top candidates for the job", so not having heard anything might be very positive. Good luck!
    2018 Goals: CCNP R/S, VCP6-NV