Options

Which one is "harder" ICND1 or ICND2

xocityxocity Member Posts: 230
Just some insight,

I took the old ICND1 exam like 2 years ago and forgot a lot of it. Ive read through ICND1 (new) chapters and found some new cool stuff but it looks like the (new)ICND1 covers a lot more info than before.

I want to finish up ICND2 in the next month or so but just wanted to get some opinions from people who have taken both. Seems like ICND2 mostly WAN tech with some STP and small switching/IPV6 vlan stuff.

Should I go back and brush up on some stuff from the new ICND1 then go deep into ICND2 or just go right into ICND2 and review anything I dont understand as I go?

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks TE

Comments

• Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Cisco likes to build on the previous exams, so it's a good idea to brush up on the new ICND1 stuff. I'm studying CCNA Security, and I got CCNA:R&S based on the 640-822 objectives. I did a one-through on the new ICND1/2 objectives before I started the CCNA Sec studying. A couple new objectives on the new CCNA are going to be MPLS and IOS Licensing, just as an example.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Difficulty based on passing percentage would have ICND2 rank "harder" than ICND1. My personal opinion - though - was that ICND1 proved way tougher for me. I think once I got all the Cisco basics down - the elaboration and expansion regarding STP, OSPF and EIGRP seemed easier to fully comprehend, assimilate and synthesize. I guess the learning curve is doing its' thang... icon_cool.gif
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    took it back in 2013 I thought INCD1 was a nightmare.. I barely passed it. INCD2 was way easier for me.. Most of it was hands on sims and diagram
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I scored better on ICND2 so I guess for me ICND1 was "harder". When I was doing ICND1 I couldn't wait to get to ICND2 because I really wanted to learn about STP, EIGRP, Frame Relay, and the FHRPs. I think I was just more engaged in ICND2 is all.

If I was you I would hit EIGRP pretty hard because the new ICND1 does not cover it and neither did the old one(I think).
  • Options
    mkazimkazi Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    From what a friend told me who had taken it about a year ago, ICND2 was a lot of simulator and security questions (ACL) and trouble shooting. If i were you, i would just take the 200-120 and get it done all at once. That way you will be up to date on the current material and finish CCNA R&S in one shot.
    "No person is your friend. No person is your enemy. Every person is your teacher." -unknown

Goals 2016: CCNA Sec OR CCNP R&S
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ICND1 is harder because it will probably be your first Cisco exam. It contains more trivial questions as opposed to the more hand-on items on the ICND2 exam.