Options

Resume - From Law Enforcement to IT

benjiewbbenjiewb Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I am currently employed as a law enforcement officer, but I am pursuing a career change to IT. Eventually, I would like to land an INFOSEC role, but I understand I must work my way up to this position. Attached is a resume I recently put together and I would appreciate any and all criticism. I do not have any IT certifications at this time, but I am currently studying to take the Security+ in the first week of March.

I am either seeking an entry level help desk or security analyst position.

This time last year I attempted the same career change, but was afforded an opportunity to attend digital forensic courses in my current agency for an anticipated forensic examiner position. This position never came about and now, once more, I am seeking to move on from law enforcement.

Thank you in advance.

Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lexcju1rcserujn/BENJIEWB%20RESUME.pdf?dl=0BENJIEWB RESUME.pdf

The file is also attached to this message for those who prefer not using the link.
2016 Goals: Security+
Currently Working On: Security+, Reading Darril Gibson Security+: Get Certified, Get Ahead

Comments

• Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi there,

Maybe it's just me but the summary of qualifications is hard to read with bold going on and off.

Also, once you get Security+ I would put that at the very top of the resume(and the cover letter, if you make one). You really should get A+ for Help Desk, especially with limited experience. Actually, getting the "trifecta"(A+,N+,Sec+) would be even better.

When are your realistic expectations of making this career move? You are right about working your way up in InfoSec. I don't like the odds of landing even a Junior security role with just the Security+, you'd have to get really lucky.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Honestly, i like your resume for an entry level role. You should have enough to get your foot in the door. Then just add some certs and keep working your way up. And with your background in law enforcement i think you should definitely be able to work your way into infosec especially in the forensics area. Only thing i will recommend is try to beef up the technical skills section. Look in the job descriptions and if you have experience with something, add it.

Good luck.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Have you looked into FDLE? They usually have postings for computer forensics people. I made the move from law enforcement and in the end I wish I did my 20 then switched to IT. I'd suggest that you stick it out in law enforcement and get your BS in IT/CS. With that and your law enforcement background you would be a shoe in for a forensics job. Are you vested yet?
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback every.

@grinch I'm vested and I actually no longer have any interest in forensics. I rather a network security, pen test, analyst, or audit type of roles. What do you currently do now and how has your LEO background benefited you?
    Currently Working On: Security+, Reading Darril Gibson Security+: Get Certified, Get Ahead
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Currently I work for a law enforcement agency, but in a regulatory capacity. I perform investigative work dealing with cyber security incidents, regulatory violations and with online fraud. Obviously there are differences in the investigative methods on the regulatory side vs the criminal side (as an example in the industry I regulate they have no fourth or fifth amendment rights). But we do work with a number of other agencies so having the criminal knowledge eases the process.

My previous law enforcement background has definitely helped. A large part of my investigations revolve around interviewing people. As in law enforcement, I am interviewing people from various backgrounds and in varying positions. One day I might be interviewing someone on the help desk and the next day it is the CEO or CISO of the company. That requires a certain tact and a method to arrive at the truth. In turn I am often interacting with lawyers (be it Prosecutors, Deputy Attorney Generals, Directors and inside/outside legal counsels) so having some previous experience in that realm has been enormously helpful.

Like I said I would definitely get a bachelors in IT or Computer Science. While in school you can figure out your route and then see which way you want to go (though Security+ isn't a bad thing and CISSP is always a good way to go) certification wise. My educational background is a BS in Computing and Security Technology concentration in Computing Security (from a well known local University) and the certs I have listed. I'd also suggest you look into joining InfraGard and the High Technology Crimes Investigation Association. Each group has people on the law enforcement side and the private sector so it's a good way to make some contacts.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Seems very interesting. I am working on my degree and hopefully combined with my law enforcement background and the certs I'm pursuing, I can eventually end up where I want to be.
  • Options
    After researching and reading the forums a lot more, I'm thinking it may be more beneficial for me to complete my A+ first so I can quickly land an entry-level position.

Can anyone else provide any more feedback on the resume posted?