security clearances

dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
reading posts here i see quite a few comments about security clearances and it being a big deal. i currently have active secret level clearances as well as a B.S. in IT, A+ and N+ and currently studying for sec+ and plan to take it next month. my question is that in my job searches i hardly see anyone mention they require a clearance. it seems to me that it isn't that valuable unless you are applying for gov't jobs? i currently work in security as a contractor for the federal gov't but am always looking (after all, it is a contract so won't likely be there forever).

is the clearance that helpful outside of gov't work?

Comments

• koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't see it being that helpful for regular work. Maybe a tiny bit--just shows that someone at one point trusted you with some sensitive information.
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd say it is a big deal if you want to work for large companies and MSPs that do government contracts in information security.

For example, go to Microsoft career web site and look for positions in information security. Majority of them require SC so if you don't have it -- you are out of luck.
  • koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Oh, I thought he meant what the value was for jobs that didn't require it at all. I'm sorry I misunderstood the question I think.
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yeah, just overall. how much demand in the public sector for SC. i really like my current job but again, i know its not forever.
  • ThomasITguyThomasITguy Banned Posts: 181
    Security clearances give you an advantage over normal people that do not have one. Just because the job does not last forever... your clearance will last, as long as you maintain it, and re investigate every 10yrs or 5 yrs.
    It depends on the Job if it needs one. Since you already have a active secret you will have no issues finding a job with Govt contractors or the Govt in general. No need to even worry about the pub sector. Keep your resume on Dice.com, clearancejobs.gov, and govt employer websites and you will be fine.

icon_study.gif