What are the first commands that you should enter as soon as you start the exam?

devhdadevhda Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

For RHEL6, I have considered entering these commands as soon as I start the exam and while I read the questions:

/etc/cron.daily/mlocate.cron ---> creates the "locate" database

/etc/cron.daily/makewhatis.cron ---> creates the "makewhatis" database

/usr/sbin/sosreport ---> creates a system report in /tmp

What other commands would you advise anyone to run?

Thanks.

Comments

• asummersasummers Member Posts: 157
    I would suggest the following:

Do not enter a command for the first 15 minutes. Spend that time to read through the questions and get it clear in your head which order you will approach the tasks.

Second point is to create a directory /root/backup or similar and WITHOUT EXCEPTION - any file that you are planning on editing using vi or similar you create a copy there first.
  • devhdadevhda Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Those are some sensible recommendations, specially the /root/backup directory. I will certainly make sure that I read through the questions properly. Any particular order you recommend? I mean, first the easiest ones and leave the hard ones for the end or is there any particular strategy that you'd follow.

Thanks asummers!
  • asummersasummers Member Posts: 157
    That's a tough and here my opinion on how I would approach the exams.

1. I would look at the exam type - e.g. broad vs focused. A broad exam will cover lots of topics and will go into some detail with each (e.g. RHSCA) . A focused exam will pick 2-3 items and really focus in those areas (OpenStack/RHCE).

2. Then I would identify the big hitters from each e.g. for Openstack it would be to build an Openstack environment - for RHCSA I would try to understand which ones test the most scope - as that's what I (if I were an exam writer) would select. Conversely I would identify the items that stick out like a sore thumb and don't seem to add much to the overall exam and place a lower priority.

3. One final check - what can stop the server from booting e.g. bad fstab, grub etc - I would give these priority and try and do them earlier.
    I always ask myself "If I was setting the exam, what would I make sure was on the exam"

And then finally after reading questions, I would write which order I will take the questions in a file/paper (if it were avaialble).

That's my approach for ANY exam.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Don't blast through and think any commands are necessary at first as asummers said. Read the directions very, very carefully or you can bomb the exam. You will be directed on what tasks you will need to accomplish.
  • XavorXavor Member Posts: 161