Options

Study Time

kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
Just wondering for those who have taken GIAC exams, got a question on study time. What was the timeframe between the time you completed your index to the time you took your exam (or your first attempt)?

I'm thinking about scheduling mine in a few weeks, take the 2 practice tests, and update my index in between.

Comments

• Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    SANS SEC401 9-14-2015 to 9-19-2015
    Practice test 1 - 9-30-2015 - 81%
    Practice test 2 - 10-6-2015 - 86%
    Practice test 3 - 10-8-2015 - 93%
    Passed Exam - 10-9-2015 - 91%

It totally depends on your background, how familiar you are with the material and how well you do on your first practice test. I would advise that you start work on you index right after you get back and things are still fresh in your head.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    quogue66quogue66 Member Posts: 193 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I started the GCIH material on 11/22 and took the test on 12/19 and passed with an 86. I started the GSEC material on 1/1 and took the test on 1/30 and scored a 91.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I spent a week studying and indexing each book before I took my first practice test. Spent two weeks studying and improving my index, took second practice test, spent another two weeks studying and improving my index before I took the GSEC exam. I probably could have passed the exam with less studying, but I took the exam very seriously, keeping my job depended on having that Cert.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    hr1stovhr1stov Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took about a month to complete my index and go through the books. This was mostly time spend after work hours. I then took the two practice exams, one without the index and one with. I took a few days off after the last practice, and took the real exam while everything was still fresh in my mind.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Like hr1stov, it seems to take me about a month to do one read through and index the books. I wish I could speed it up but I don't take time away from my family to study.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework