Options

Passed CCNA:R&S 200-120 Today !

MalexMalex Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
I started studying about 3-4 months ago, and at that point didn't know a thing about Cisco. This test really was a different beast from any exam I've taken upto this point, I've never felt so great after an exam. I'm taking Security+ next, hopefully in the next coming weeks, hoping to keep my momentum going. I've mostly lurked these forums but it's been a great help in finding resources and getting extra information. Thanks & Good luck to everyone in 2016!

I used videos from Pluralsight, and also The Network Doctors. Along with practice tests from the internet & measureup.com

Comments

• Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Awesome, great job! I actually have a former student studying for CCNA so she can start the same Master's program that I'm finishing. I'm just curious as to why you're hopping to CompTIA instead of going for CCNA Security? Nothing wrong with that at all, but considering that you already have Cisco fresh in your mind, and the CCNA Security exam is a little cheaper than Security+. I look forward to seeing your additional progress!
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    Awesome, great job! I actually have a former student studying for CCNA so she can start the same Master's program that I'm finishing. I'm just curious as to why you're hopping to CompTIA instead of going for CCNA Security? Nothing wrong with that at all, but considering that you already have Cisco fresh in your mind, and the CCNA Security exam is a little cheaper than Security+. I look forward to seeing your additional progress!

Thank you very much. The school I was in covers the cost of both the CCNA:RS and Security+, is the main reason. I definitely plan on getting a CCNA: Security cert if I end up getting a Net Admin job. I'm not 100% sure where these next few weeks will take me lol so, for now trying to take advantage of what the school has to offer.
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! I plan to take this sometime in between my netacad classes.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    pinkiaiiipinkiaiii Member Posts: 216
    danny069 wrote: »
    Congrats! I plan to take this sometime in between my netacad classes.

how come you have cyber security listed on your certs if you dont mind me asking -since i thought such course would be well beyond ccna scope more of linux/windows server admin and down the ladder to wireshark etc,or is it just specific for some service,as curious what sort of type it would be,since from little that ive seen of forenics stuff it blows most IT areas out of water,on how deep it goes into,past any ccna,ccnp down to the core of packet sniffing every bit,making comparisons-like knowing stuff that certain frambes if caught early even encrypted would have ip/mac address field

Since seen cyber security forensics course and some people with over 10y experience would have hard time getting in-and stuff they do is beyond ccna or ccnp levels.

^^btw congrats on crushing ccna,how many hours did you study on average if you dont mind me asking,also what resources did you use/find best-as im on netacad and cant say anything good about it,since on some topics 10min videos gave me more info and understanding then whole chapters,just my opinion here/also newbie myself and almost 4 months in,i dont think id even score 50 for ccent yet,as from my previous rambling posts on this board on issue after issue,i keep running into.
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    pinkiaiii wrote: »
    how come you have cyber security listed on your certs if you dont mind me asking -since i thought such course would be well beyond ccna scope more of linux/windows server admin and down the ladder to wireshark etc,or is it just specific for some service,as curious what sort of type it would be,since from little that ive seen of forenics stuff it blows most it areas out of water,on how deep it goes into.

Since seen cyber security forensics course and some people with over 10y experience would have hard time getting in-and stuff they do is beyond ccna or ccnp levels.

In my curriculum, I must take two networking courses. The CCNA exam is something I want to do on my own, also because my school does not give us the vouchers for the exam. I believe it is good to be well rounded, and I don't think one subject is "beyond" the other. Sure, it may be different, but we could all learn something in all aspects of IT, no matter the subject. So with that being said, I believe it is good to be well rounded. As time goes by I am learning more router/switch commands and I am beginning to like it more than I have in the past, and knowing networking will definitely help in a forensics, IT security role.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    btw congrats on crushing ccna,how many hours did you study on average if you dont mind me asking,also what resources did you use/find best-as im on netacad and cant say anything good about it,since on some topics 10min videos gave me more info and understanding then whole chapters,just my opinion here/also newbie myself and almost 4 months in,i dont think id even score 50 for ccent yet,as from my previous rambling posts on this board on issue after issue,i keep running into.

Thanks a lot! I'm bad at schedules, and there are days where I was motivated enough to study for 10+ hours and there are some where I didn't study at all. If I had to average it, I'd put it somewhere at 5-6 hours a day.

I used videos from Pluralsight, and also The Network Doctors. Along with practice tests from the internet & measureup.com, these were resources provided by my school. The videos I got from the network doctors are what I think helped me the most, personally.
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats and great job on conquering CCNA R&S! Good luck on Security+! icon_thumright.gif
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    pinkiaiiipinkiaiii Member Posts: 216
    Malex
    user-offline.png
    my mistake seen expected,its good goal to have,and actually seen person who went from nothing to ccna/ccnp and 3 years later company that hired him placed on the course for forensics,and labs that they do there experiments is nothing compared to ccna,thus once one gets to that point its like being CCIE or higher.
  • Options
    gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes congrats indeed. I have been working with computers for 15 years and failed the 200-120 on my first go round.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    mkazimkazi Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Keep it up!
    "No person is your friend. No person is your enemy. Every person is your teacher." -unknown

Goals 2016: CCNA Sec OR CCNP R&S
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the passicon_thumright.gif
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    crplhoodcrplhood Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    CCNA R&S[X] CCENT[X] Sec+[X] A+[X] VMware Airwatch Associate[X] Steve's Blog Steve's Linkedin
  • Options
    Brain-DBrain-D Member Posts: 134