Options

Opinions on correct way to perform/share job duties.

QueueQueue Member Posts: 174 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello,

At my current position we have no metric to satisfy for job performance. This leads to an unbalanced work load. Some people out of 10 consistently do more tickets/work than others. I hear both sides of the story from various parties.

Ones doing more work= "no one up here works"

Ones in the middle= "above^ doesn't give us a chance to get more tickets/work"

Ones at the bottom= my assumption is they're over it also know as burnt out "scraping by."

These stats "amount of tickets open/closed" are displayed for everyone and management in a spreadsheet at the end of each month.

Should one be pushing for max tickets per month? Should one let tickets sit so everyone has a "chance" to see them and grab? Should one do the tickets assigned to them and try to pass on if hard?

Please advise on your take on the matter.

Comments

• Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One should always do their best and not worry about what others are doing. I also think using the number of open/closed tickets is not a good way to qualify if someone is doing their job. Some tickets take longer to close. The person that closes 20 really hard tickets is not performing poorly compared to the person who closed 50 password reset tickets. Things need to be taken in context.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    NVLadyNVLady Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with alias. We have one guy that will create tickets for simple questions one might ask him. The joke around here is that you will get a ticket notification if you ask him how his day is going. You don't want to be that guy. :-/
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The fun part of metrics is how much people actually look into them. Similar to above, we had a guy who would make a ticket every time someone asked him to help put staples in a stapler, etc. Year after year he won the award for busiest employee having closed out hundreds more tickets than anybody else. Fun part was the managers only looked at the year-end sum total quantity of tickets, not the quality or what he actually did. Made him look really good in their eyes and he got promoted a few times due to all his hard work
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    That shows inept management...
    Never let your fear decide your fate....