Options

Master of Science in Information Security

TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
I am posting this thread to ask some questions for those that have a MS in Infosec or are pursuing the degree currently.

Here is a little background though. I only attended one year of High school in U.S and because of low SAT score, I was only accepted to the local community college. I transferred from a different country so the educational system was very unknown to me, not difficult per say but the way things worked at the time I didn't understand, thus the low SAT scores. At the local community college I started my BS in Computer Science and was doing very well, looking back at my degree at the CC I only had 1 C, 2 C+ and the rest were A's and B+'s(Most of the A's and B's were Computer Science courses). Before I graduate and getting my Associate's, for good or bad, I fell under the recruiting influence of a higher university.

Because of my good GPA at that time, I was offered a scholarship to transfer to the University. Which I did without doing any proper research or at-least consider other possibilities. Looking back i should have done more research, but being new to a country, new educational environment, being a little introvert at the time and a little conscious about how other people will perceive you didn't help me much and didn't push me to get some help or guidance. I thought I would figure it on my own. Anyways, out of the 12 courses I had taken at the CC only 6 were transferred over and now I had to take more courses. Maybe it was the expectations, maybe it was the material or the professors or maybe the culture or maybe even me(most likely it was me) but everything went downhill since that time. I lost my scholarship because my GPA tanked, causing more pressure on maintaining the grades and added more frustration to my life, losing focus completely. To speed up the story, I graduated from the University with the minimum required GPA 2.0(I hope I'm not the only one). Looking back at my transcript i had received some D's on my major's courses and having passed them the 2nd time with C's the C's were included in the GPA calculation. I should have done my research about the grading policies and done a bit better but that's in the past now.

Fast forward 7 years since then from time to time I thinking about getting a Master of Science in Information Security. Many people that I know have a Master degree in their fields and always bring it up of how i should go back and get one also and how it will maybe increase my value as a professional and open new doors. I think it could add some value especially if I want to get into management type roles, or is the degree over-rated and the ROI does not get fulfilled?

The above paragraphs is what brings me to the questions.
What would it take for me to go back to school and get a Master's degree? What are my options?

I'm referring mostly to my low GPA at graduation. Can someone be accepted or enrolled in a Master's degree program having such a low GPA for their B.S? How does the Master's degree work?
Do I have to write some 100 page dissertation in order to get the Master's or is just like all the other degrees where you pass 10 whatever classes and you get the degree? Or does that depend on the schools you attend?
Right now I have set some goals in terms or certifications, CISA and CISM to be more specific for my next step. So would it be wise to invest time or money on the degree? What is the general perception you have received from having a Masters or from having the big certs or from having both? Are you getting more job offers, better and higher paying job positions or more important positions with the Master's?

All feedback is welcomed!

Comments

• Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Where do you want to go for your Masters?
  • Options
    philz1982 wrote: »
    Where do you want to go for your Masters?

I would rather not go through an online school. I'd rather take weekend classes or evening classes at a brick and mortar school around the NYC area. I just don't think online degrees have the publicity or credibility that brick and mortar school have at this time. Maybe it will change later on, who knows. But right now I just doing some research and seeing if it's even possible.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It would really depend on the University. If they see you have good experience and the certifications they like, they might accept you. Otherwise I'm assuming they would make you take a GRE exam and as long as you scored well, maybe a couple lower level classes before starting the masters program.
  • Options
    MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is interesting that your favor a NYC Brick & Mortar school over an online school. When most Named schools in NYC will not even look at your application with a 2.0 GPA. Just the very nature of a college in NYC makes it super competitive and some will not transfer a class with a D, despite you having a degree. Just a quick glance at some NYC schools:

CUNY min 3.0
    NYU min 3.0 with GRE
    St. John min 3.0
    Colombia min 3.0 with GRE

I understand a person 7 years ago can be quite a different person today. I look back and see things I wish I would have done educationally different. I just want to point out that an online school might really be your only option.
  • Options
    TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    5-8 years ago, the online degree question might cause pause to many people and employers. This is 2016, and I hope that the minds have changed.
    Personally, and based on the advice of some friends (one of whom did his PhD thesis on Veterans access to education and other benefits), the "online education stigma" might haunt you only if you seek a pure academic track with hopes of tenure somewhere. If you seek a graduate degree for professional advancement, I don't think there is much wrong with pursuing an online degree from a -regionally accredited- university.
  • Options
    So you guys think if i was to do something like that, I should consider an online degree?
  • Options
    MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I say online I don't mean schools like Devry, Phoenix or Capella. Besides WGU, there are plenty of Brick and Mortar schools that have a huge online presence and might give you a better chance of getting in.

Sam Houston State
    Capitol Tech
    Penn State
    UMUC
  • Options
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    I would rather not go through an online school. I'd rather take weekend classes or evening classes at a brick and mortar school around the NYC area. I just don't think online degrees have the publicity or credibility that brick and mortar school have at this time. Maybe it will change later on, who knows. But right now I just doing some research and seeing if it's even possible.

That's not been my experience FYI. I have a Masters from a B&M school but I got the degree online. I have interviewed with several Fortune 500 companies and the online issue has never been brought up.
  • Options
    Yeah then if there was a possibility to do the degree online from a brick and mortar school that has an online presence I would be open to that. But not strictly online school only.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Ok so first...how to get into a school. A lot of traditional and accredited universities require you to take either the GRE or GMAT plus an application usually consisting of an essay why you want to attend grad school. With your low GPA...you might have to take additional classes, kill the exam, or both. Basically those would show if you can hang because Masters level classes are quite a bit harder and require more dedication.

Assuming you get into a program and make it until the end...many programs require a lengthy thesis and some provide a capstone course option.

Certifications are useful but at the top rungs you will no doubt be expected to have both a quality degree (or an advanced degree) and certifications.

As far as universities go...getting through an accredited university is ideal...however other degrees can be better than nothing but you probably will have to shine brighter against your competition meaning better experience, more certifications, some kind of reputation, etc. Also, accredited universities will be more challenging as far as admittance and curriculum.
  • Options
    No_NerdNo_Nerd Banned Posts: 168
    I had a horrible GMAT score and a sub par under grad GPA of around 2.9 or 2.8... but a great resume. What helped me was the persistence. I received rejection letters from each university I applied to . But after about 15-20 meeting and lots of extra work to prove I could handle the program I was admitted. Never underestimate the power of getting to know the right people combined with a strong work ethic. I graduate in May and my current GPA is 3.52. I also believe that my military experience helped out. And the fact that the GI bill is a automatic payment to the university might of had something to do with it.

I wouldn't stop with just one Masters though if you can make it into the program and then make it out why not get a second one ?
  • Options
    So I just did a quick look based on the feedback and the school that have an online presence for a Masters degree and most of them are at around 33 credits give or take with a price of 800-900 per credit. That's around $33k! Wow didn't know it was so expensive, but maybe it will have a good ROI? On a side note, I did mention it to my wife and she was pushing me to pursuit and look into it even more. That's a good thing I guess.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The cost sounds about right and of course those costs don't include books usually. You could always try to find an employer with tuition reimbursement and fulfill whatever the commitment is...usually a year or two.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Take it for what it is worth, but here is my take on the matter.

1. Your GPA will hinder you, unless you can prove that you are a different student today.
    2. You can do things to make schools notice you, even with the poor GPA.
    3. Pursue educational opportunities that help you prove that you are a different student today compared to 7 years ago.

So, how? Well, take the MIT CyperSecurity: Technology, Application and Policy course. It is inexpensive ($595). You can also take Harvard Extension School Cybersecurity Certificate. It is pricey, at $9,600 for four courses, but does not require an application. That should mean that your GPA is irrelevant, to Harvard at least. Complete that course of study and I doubt too many schools are going to care so much about your undergraduate GPA.

Just my .02 cents.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    So I just did a quick look based on the feedback and the school that have an online presence for a Masters degree and most of them are at around 33 credits give or take with a price of 800-900 per credit. That's around $33k! Wow didn't know it was so expensive, but maybe it will have a good ROI? On a side note, I did mention it to my wife and she was pushing me to pursuit and look into it even more. That's a good thing I guess.

Got my MSIA at DSU cost about 12k, its B&M and is 30 Credits and $400/cr
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    stryder144 wrote: »
    You can also take Harvard Extension School Cybersecurity Certificate. It is pricey, at $9,600 for four courses, but does not require an application.

That's cheaper than 4 SANS courses AND you'd get to put Harvard on your resume...
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm going to start Fordham's Cyber Security Master's program in the Fall. They require a 3.0 (Which I currently have) and above, no GRE. The program is 2 meetup weekends a month and the rest online. They will consider a GPA under 3.0 (of course by a case by case basis) if it was a long time ago. I learned this from one of the open houses I went to. So I'm not going to speculate why you have a 2.0 GPA, but if you are serious and dedicated to get a Master's Degree then don't let anything stop you from trying.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    Gamesta400Gamesta400 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you have a CCNA certification less than 5 years old, WGU will let you into their Cyber-security masters program. And you cant beat the price.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I would have to look into all this stuff.