Options

Hard time finding a job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks....

Comments

• Options
    clintoniaclintonia Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What knowledge do you have and what do you ultimately want to do? I'd personally choose Apple as that seems like it would be more hardware oriented (if that's what you want to get into). I've used Comcast/TWC for years and never met a Cable tech that was happy to do his job, but from what I hear they pay well. So that's also something to take into consideration.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    How old are you? Are you just out of school? Have you had internships? Have you had other jobs in regard to computer experience? How does your resume look? Are you getting interviews?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    pearljampearljam Member Posts: 134
    I'm 24 and graduated in August. I was working for a data center but resigned because it was a disaster, there were five of us doing two people's jobs. So we were all literally sitting there staring at the wall for six hours (it was a complete joke). I then broke my wrist and haven't been able to work for two months. So I'm looking for entry level positions but there's nothing that doesn't require at least two years experience. I want to end up in networking, I'm going to take my CCENT next month.
  • Options
    How long were you at the data center?
  • Options
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    pearljam wrote: »
    I'm 24 and graduated in August. I was working for a data center but resigned because it was a disaster, there were five of us doing two people's jobs. So we were all literally sitting there staring at the wall for six hours (it was a complete joke). I then broke my wrist and haven't been able to work for two months. So I'm looking for entry level positions but there's nothing that doesn't require at least two years experience. I want to end up in networking, I'm going to take my CCENT next month.
    didn't file fro workers comp?
  • Options
    si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□

I can relate to that. I don't know why some companies hire more staff than they actually need. It's a sign of poor management. Too many cooks spoil the broth and all that...
  • Options
    It was after I left
  • Options
    Next time, have a job lined up before you quit. Some employers just won't understand the time span between jobs....
  • Options
    Do you think it's going to be hard to find one now?
  • Options
    It all depends. Are you listing the job on your resume? Where do you live?
  • Options
    Yes, Seattle. Should I take it off?
  • Options
    Yes, it raises alot of questions of why you just left after just 3 months.
  • Options
    If I take it off though they'll definitely be wondering what I've been doing for six months?
  • Options
    Looking for a job. Studying..etc. Or you just say the contract ended. You can't say, I didn't like management because they over hired.
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I take it off though they'll definitely be wondering what I've been doing for six months?

You will probably need to get CCNA. Most CCENT jobs are for interns(from what I've observed). If they ask what you've been doing since you graduated--you've been certifying.
  • Options
    So once I get my CCNA they won't care about the experience?
  • Options
    How long did it take you to get yours Koz?
  • Options
    It helps, but some places like the experience as well. You would need to wow them in the interview process.
  • Options
    So once I get my CCNA they won't care about the experience?
    They will definitely still care that you have no experience, but the CCNA is the first step in getting in somewhere. You will need to look for Junior/NOC roles.
  • Options
    How long did it take you to get yours Koz?
    3-4 months I think but I was working full time. If you are studying 24/7 you should be able to get it in a few months.
  • Options
    K, well thanks everyone for the advice
  • Options
    joemc3joemc3 Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You needed to stay longer at that job. Regardless of the amount of work you were doing in day you needed to stay. Grab a book and do more studying, applying for jobs while you are doing nothing at your current job. I would hesitate to hire you. I have been at jobs that I loathed for much longer. I remained professional and looked for employment and handed in my two weeks. Don't burn connections, or at least try and make them.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ pearljam - Sounds like you didn't know how good you had it. You should've used all of that office downtime to study.

I had a contracting gig that I left after 3 months which I keep on my CV. I interviewed for a NOC role while I had that job and when asked for an explanation for being there for such a short time I told them it was a contracting job with no benefits and I wanted to become a permanent full-time hire (which was the truth by the way).
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    jimjamesjimjames Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't leave jobs because of boredom unless you have something lined up. Some of us wished we had more downtime to study and do other stuff. Also leaving after 3 months is not a good look. Good luck.
  • Options
    No_NerdNo_Nerd Banned Posts: 168
    I left a job once after 60 days . I was promised a senior role and was stuck at L1 Help desk . This was a few months ago and I have been questioned about it during other job interviews.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wouldn't worry about a 6 month gap especially compared to a 3 month job you just quit. My gap was almost 2 years (surgery and job hunt) before I got into IT and only about half of the interviewers asked about it. Just say you job hunting while looking for a job, many of us spent more than 6 months finding our first IT job, just have to find one that will give you a chance, it will come. My best advice is to get your A+ if you don't have it. That was the key that started mine and so many others careers. CCNA is beneficial if there's a lot of entry-level networking jobs in the area. I would assume there's quite a few in Seattle.

Cable and satellite techs get heavily overworked. I was one for a few weeks before I burned out. You often work 60+ hours a week. The checks are deceptively decent but I wasn't making more than about $15 an hour after expenses.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)