Options

Skills on resume

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
So I can't find the post where some of the people here talked about the skills on the resume. I wanna put the skills that I've learned through self study on the resume. For example if I'm working on..... Bash, Python, Wireshark, Linux, moon walking or BBoying..... But I can't remember if it was a bad idea or not. I know that I gotta be able to back up what I have on the resume.

I don't want to oversell myself nor do I want to undersell myself but I'm really harsh when it comes to my personal skills. I usually leave stuff off unless I've used it in production but I kinda feel like that's not helping me because I'm not using any of these things at work. Even if I do use a lab environment at work, I'm not sure if it would count.
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• Options
    Matt2Matt2 Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My 2 cent opinion. If you're good at something, I think it's ok to list. If it's not a big strength but you feel it's a selling point you could include the word "familiar". So it's clear your not saying you know it eyes shut.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    That precisely is my issue with listing kills. As a hiring manager I have no idea what you mean by a simple list. If you say something like "Wireshark", what does that mean? Do you just now how to capture traffic? Can you pull binaries out of a PCAP? Can you troubleshoot network performance issues?

Definitely give it some context so there's some value to it.
  • Options
    Alright so for example...

Working knowledge of Bash and Python
    Working knowledge of Windows 7 & Linux
    Packet capture with Wireshark
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Alright so for example...
    Working knowledge of Bash and Python
    Working knowledge of Windows 7 & Linux
    Packet capture with Wireshark

Ditch the working knowledge. Tell me something you can do with Bash or Python as it pertains to my job posting. And if you list it, be prepared for me to ask you a question or two to judge your competence with it. One easy question, one hard question.

Everybody knows Windows 7. Don't waste valuable space on it. Linux, eh, to me it's sort of implied, but maybe not.
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    That precisely is my issue with listing kills. As a hiring manager I have no idea what you mean by a simple list. If you say something like "Wireshark", what does that mean? Do you just now how to capture traffic? Can you pull binaries out of a PCAP? Can you troubleshoot network performance issues?

Definitely give it some context so there's some value to it.

Agreed with this. This is why I tend to leave my skill sets off my Resume and just leave it to my experiences with previous roles to show what I did / can do.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It's better to explain what you can do with those tools. For example, listing programs (and their purpose) that you wrote in a language is useful. Indicating the type of problem you know how to solve using wireshark is useful.
  • Options
    xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't put stuff like MPLS or BGP on it unless you actually understand it...
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Don't even get me started on people putting BGP and MPLS on their resume.....
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think I will wait until CCNP Service Provider before I mention BGP anywhere. Though I'm not a big fan of the skills section to begin with. Would love to hear your tales of BGP and MPLS though.
  • Options
    Kinda feel like I'm stuck again. I'm trying to get noticed way more inside the company and outside without putting the big letters on the resume like CISSP or OSCP (I want them but now isn't the time). I'm working on learning new things and reviewing old things but I would like to do it the right way. It's just that my current job doesn't really allow me to learn new skills anymore.
    Booya!!
  • Options
    YesOffenseYesOffense Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's iffy, if i'm doing the interview I'd rather your resume tell me what you've done, and what you can do for me as opposed to just buzz terms. But I swear you'll get through more HR filters with those buzz terms.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    One suggestion that a hiring manager made was to put your LinkedIn account info on the resume and use that to highlight things that you have been learning. You can click on the Publish a Post link on LinkedIn and let people know what you have learned that day.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277

Yeah I have MPLS Experience.

Please explain how your MPLS network is setup.

Oh. We hook our CE to the PE and link to them with BGP.

YesOffense wrote: »
    It's iffy, if i'm doing the interview I'd rather your resume tell me what you've done, and what you can do for me as opposed to just buzz terms. But I swear you'll get through more HR filters with those buzz terms.

That is why you tailor each resume for the job you are posting for to make it more specific to the post they have up. It gets you past those filters easier.