Options

Passed CISSP - 02/05/2016

drpuppydrpuppy Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all,

I have been a long time regular of the site and have always enjoyed the information provided. However, this is my first time posting because I normally don't have the time. Just to touch on my background, I've been an IT for about 15 years or so with 12 heavily focused in Security. I am fortunate as my experience spans all but one domain on the CISSP exam thus far in my career.

As for the CISSP, a lot of the passed and failed threads helped me study for this test. After taking it, I felt like I could have passed it with minimal study but I'll break down how I'd prepare if I could do it again.

1) Use the Sybex Seventh Edition Study Guide. This book comes with a wealth of questions and extra content. The book reads well and I didn't feel it was a chore to read through it. I read through it completely once and scanned over it a second time. I did a lot of the questions that came with the extra content to building up my question stamina. I also used CCCure which were useful in identifying areas you are potentially weak on but overall I think the questions on the Sybex were better.

2) Use CCCure in last month leading up to the test and use the promotion off the Larry Greenblatt videos. I don't see this as crucial to passing but it gives you a good indication in which domains your knowledge might be lacking. For videos, I felt that the Cybrary videos were the best I watched for prepping for the exam as she made the concepts easier to visualize.

3) Do not beat your head against a wall trying to memorize things as you will be disappointed come test time. It is not a technical exam by any means; instead understand the concepts behind the terms. Understand what security controls can be used in certain situations and identify in these situations how management would implement them. As many before me have stated, it is management focused so you need to understand those type of top-down decisions.

4) Don't psych yourself out going in there! It isn't an overly difficult test once you get into the flow. Understand the question and eliminate answers based on that understanding. Many times that process will leave you with two options with one that looks more management focused. Think red tape and top-down when selecting answers.

So to recap, watch some cybrary videos to gather some insight into how you can visualize some of the concepts. Read the Sybex and do the chapter questions and practice exams (focus on why these are the right answers and why the others are wrong). Get CCCure in the last month if you are having trouble understanding where you should focus your time. Then take it and be awesome! icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• Options
    renacidorenacido Member Posts: 387 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass, well done. icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Thanks for the write up it helps us all out as to what to study. What's next for you?
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    TankerTTankerT Member Posts: 132
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Brain-DBrain-D Member Posts: 134
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    (focus on why these are the right answers and why the others are wrong).

This is the best advice. I cannot stress this enough. This technique, I feel, really helped me pass the exam. I could apply that same thought process to each scenario and, usually, find the answer. It sure helps confidence levels, also.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    User2097User2097 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats and keep up the future studies for new certs!
    Cert Goals: CISSP-ISSAP (May 2016) | CISM (2016) | GSEC (2016) | OSCP (2017)
    College: MBA Project Management (2012) | Bachelors IT Management (2010)
    Experience: Cyber Security, Information Assurance, and IT Management Officer