Options

SSCP course at Ed2Go

jonemacjonemac Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm beginning to believe that I made a serious mistake by taking the SSCP course via Ed2Go.

The course revolves around a 10+ year old set of CBT Nugget videos. A lot of the information is simply wrong on its face and doesn't apply to today's security concerns. Some of it is still relevant, but anyone that's been in the business the last 10 years knows that things have changed greatly since 2006. They still believe PGP is "free" and that Ethereal is the packet sniffer of choice even though it hasn't been called that since 2006! They also seem to have a fetish for viruses/worms that occurred in 1999..why, I have no idea.

The test engine used by Ed2Go is severely mangled. For the SSCP Unit 1 quizzes, it would flag the first 12 questions as incorrect no matter what. My adviser acknowledged the issue, but I don't think it was ever fixed. I tried the quiz several times and finally just skipped it.

The references given for a lot of the quiz/exam answer corrections don't exist in the course textbook. It's almost as if they referenced a previous edition of the textbook and were never changed.

I'm not usually one to complain, but for the price it seems really shoddy and I just don't have a lot of faith in its ability to teach me not only what's necessary to pass the SSCP exam, but more importantly, to carry the content into the field and successfully use it..

Anyone else have these issues?

Or, if not, what route did you take to successfully do your SSCP exam?

BTW, I also took the Security+ at the same time and it didn't have any of these issues..

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sorry you had such a lousy experience. I took some networking courses through Ed2Go a few years ago, and that seemed to go ok. Course materials seemed current. It sounds like for SSCP they just pieced together materials and didn't bother doing any quality control.

I self-studied for SSCP. I used Darril Gibson's book, the related modules from the CISSP, CASP, Cloud+, and Cryptography training on Cybrary, the related chapters from Shon Harris' CISSP guide, the related chapters from Michael Gregg's CASP study guide, and a homemade memory **** that I created and used for Security+ that includes port names/numbers, OSI model, etc. Maybe I overstudied, but I did pass on the first try.

If you haven't already, download the course objectives and outline your study plan based on that. Everything from the objectives will potentially be on the test, so make sure that you know them.

And talk to Ed2Go about getting a full refund.
  • Options
    LaCrossLaCross Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed my SSCP late last year. Used the All-In-One Book as well as the SSCP study guide notes online. Just really drill it into your brain the answers that they are looking for.

Looking back on it, i'd spend my time elsewhere. The exam is made artificially hard through obfuscation and to me that is not a good exam. The SSCP also does not have much recognition at all.
  • Options
    jonemacjonemac Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm actually pretty solid on the required knowledge and took this course because I thought it would be a good stepping stone to the CISSP. On further reflection, I think I'm going to skip the CISSP and go for the ITIL v3 Foundation, CCNA:Security and probably the C|EH certs instead.

I'm more of a "hands-on" kind of guy when it comes to finding/fixing network and security issues and would much rather be the guy sitting between the "C" level execs and the troops on the front lines than in either of those groups. It's where I'd be most useful.

Besides, my whole focus is towards remote work so anything I can do to help with that goal is worth it to me.
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't find the course described here.