Options

Wait on CEH v9 Study Mats. or jump ahead into CompTIA CASP?

thewiz8807thewiz8807 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
Title says it all. My original plan was CEH then CASP but it seems study mats for the new CEH v9 are scarce and are due to hit the market around May '16. That's some time from now and I want to keep this momentum going instead of waiting around. Considering jumping right into the CASP though I know it is a bit more advanced. A plus side would be the Security+ information is still fresh in my brain if I were to go ahead and pursue the CASP.

To those of you who have taken both, does the CEH help prepare you for the CASP in any way? I know they're two different companies but I noticed some great lay over between certs ie. Network+ to CCNA R/S, Security+ to CCNA Sec.

Let me know. Hope to pull the trigger later today or early tomorrow.
Goals: Network+ (Done) -> CCNA: R&S (Done) -> CCNA: Security (Done) -> Security+ (Done) -> ITIL v3 Foundation (Done) -> CASP (Done) -> CCNP: R/S (In Progress) -> CCNP: Collaboration -> CCSK -> CCSP -> CISSP

Comments

• Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CASP is much broader in scope and is concerned with defense side of security while CEH is more offensive security.
    There is some (but not a lot) of overlap in areas such as basic security concepts, cryptography, and vulnerabilities such as XSS, SQLi.

If anything, EC Council ENSA (Network Security Administrator) seems to overlap more with CASP. I have not taken ENSA before, so..
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm not a huge fan of the quality of EC-Council's materials, so I'd recommend the CASP. That said, CEH will get you much better resume eyes-on than the CASP.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    CASP or C|EH are good choices. Read the C|EH book two weeks ago and it wasn't hard to grasp since my laptops at home have been Kali-based since replacing Back|Track. You'll enjoy C|EH, it's a fun read.

If you want to do pen testing and checking your network for risks, it's a fun book to read. Back in college I used to do side work for the area banks and pen test the systems, pretty much all the stuff I did back then from just forum learning is in the C|EH book. icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    thewiz8807thewiz8807 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Decided to grab the CASP book. Haven't cracked it open yet, wanted to take a breather.
    Goals: Network+ (Done) -> CCNA: R&S (Done) -> CCNA: Security (Done) -> Security+ (Done) -> ITIL v3 Foundation (Done) -> CASP (Done) -> CCNP: R/S (In Progress) -> CCNP: Collaboration -> CCSK -> CCSP -> CISSP