Options

JNCIA Passed

MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
Passed the JNCIA today with 86%. Study materials included CBT Nuggets, the Fast Track PDFs, and the Junos Genius app. Study lab included GNS3 VMs, a physical SRX240 at the house (provided by work for VPN) and an SRX220 that we have in our lab at the NOC. Overall, was not a different exam. I would put it on par with the ICND1 exam. Without disclosing too much, I was surprised that I had MPLS questions on the test. I didn't notice anything related to it in the study material.

Overall study time was about a week, putting in 2-3 hours a day. If this was your first networking exam, I would estimate closer to 30-90 days. I came into already having my CCNA and getting hands on experience at work. I cannot recommend the Junos Genius app enough though. Going through the exam, it felt pretty close to the real thing for me. I felt that the Fast Track material would be sufficient to pass with, it went over just about everything in the exam.

For those of you who have taken the ICND1 and coming to this exam, study your binary - which you should be comfortable with anyways!

Comments

• Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats Mooseboost!
  • Options
    GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
    Great Job. Keep up the good work
  • Options
    cliffsarpcliffsarp Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello,
    First and foremost, Congratulation on passing your JNCIA exam. I am new to Juniper Networks, I do have Cisco background; CCNA, CCNP, and I am thinking of taking the JNCIA, is there any study guide that you recommend?.
    What is the different between exams JN0-101, and JN0-201?
    Thank you.
    your response is highly appreciated.
  • Options
    LuieLuie Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cliffsarp wrote: »
    Hello,
    First and foremost, Congratulation on passing your JNCIA exam. I am new to Juniper Networks, I do have Cisco background; CCNA, CCNP, and I am thinking of taking the JNCIA, is there any study guide that you recommend?.
    What is the different between exams JN0-101, and JN0-201?
    Thank you.
    your response is highly appreciated.
    If you have networking experience, the Juniper Fast Track program is probably what you are looking for. You can download the study guides, and if you pass a practice test you can get 50% off vouchers for the JNCIA and all JNCIS-level exams. The web page is Network Certification Program - Fast Track - Juniper Networks.

Both JN0-101 and JN0-201 tests are retired. The current JNCIA exam code is JN0-102.
  • Options
    doctorlexusdoctorlexus Member Posts: 217
    Congrats on the pass. Do you think you could have passed coming straight out of CCNA and using nothing else but the Genius app for a week?
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. Do you think you could have passed coming straight out of CCNA and using nothing else but the Genius app for a week?

The Genius app is great, for sure - but as far as it being sufficient by itself, that will depend on your live experience with Junos. The commands vary a bit from Cisco. The app will definitely give you a feel for the kind of questions you will find on the exam - but it won't really teach you the concepts, you only get a brief explanation of the answer.

The FastTrack guides are free from Juniper - so I would recommend if nothing else, at least browsing through them. Outside of that, maybe taking a peak at some command syntax. Coming form Cisco only, the syntax is what will get you. The exam itself is multiple choice with no labs, so at bare minimum if you know the correct syntax you can likely figure an answer out.

My study time was about a week - so if Moose can figure it out in a week, I know you can!

If you move up to JNCIS, it will be a different story.
  • Options
    No experience with JunOS. I started going through the free FastTrack guides, and they're pretty easy to read through. Also found a 5 hour JNCIA course on CBTNuggets, so going to go through that. Hopefully I can knock this exam out within a week, too.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Went through an exam on the JunOS genius app just to see what it would be like. Probably the most surprisingly thing to me is the majority of questions are about JunOS. I figured the exam would be about 20-30% JunOS specific material and then 70-80% network related material. But in reality, it was more like 80-90% JunOS commands and system structure. So it seems the CCNA overlap isn't nearly as much as I anticipated.
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    NEODREAMNEODREAM Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is encouraging to hear! I've been really interested in learning Junos OS and getting some certs in relation to it. Any idea if the CBT course is worth it?
    Goal: eJPT Mar. 2020 | GDAT May 2020 | eCPPT Dec. 2020
  • Options
    JohnnyBigglesJohnnyBiggles Member Posts: 273