Options

Study plan

8thdegreepwnologist8thdegreepwnologist Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

So I've been struggling with focusing on my studies and was pretty bummed out over this past week because I didnt open the book once. Instead I binge watched TV and played video games. :/

This morning I went into my closet and dug out an old book I'd been meaning to read, The Power of Self-Discipline, no excuses by Brian Tracy.
I skipped to the section on Goals and on pg 70 he lists The Seven-Step method to Achieving your Goals. This was very helpful to me so I thought Id share it with you.

Step 1. Decide Exactly what you want. Be specific.
Step 2. Write it down.
Step 3. Set a deadline for your goal
Step 4. Make a list of Everything you can think of that you could possibly do to achieve your goal.
- Make a list of the obstacles and difficulties.
- Make a list of the additional knowledge and skills that you will need in order to achieve your goal.
- Make a list of the people whose cooperation and support you will require to achieve your goal.
- Make a list of everything that you can think of that you will have to do.
Step 5. Organize your list by both sequence and priority.
Step 6. Take action on your plan Immediately.
Step 7. Do something every day that moves you in the direction of your goal. This creates momentum.

He then goes on to ask you to write down 10-15 goals in 3-5min. Select one goal from this list that will impact all your other goals the most and circle it, this is your Major Definite Purpose. It becomes your focus point. Make a plan. Tell yourself ' Failure is not an option.' Then take action, something, anything towards this goal.

He continues with saying use Mindstorming to get started.
Write out your Major Definite Purpose at the top of the page of a new sheet of paper in the form of a question.
Mine was 'How can I get my Network+ certification'.

Then he says 'write a minimum of twenty answers to the question'. Dont stop until you hit 20.

My list was
1. Study the book as much as possible
2. Watch the videos
3. Not sabotage myself at night by watching tv.
4. Meet my daily study goals of 2hrs+
5. raise my standards
6. forgive myself and get back on track asap
7. get plenty of sleep each night 8+ hrs.
8. Quickly review each new chapter in the morning
9. review the previous chapters quickly before starting a new chapter
10. print off tables to memorize
11. print key terms and hang in office and at home
12. print current chapter and carry it around.
13. convert videos to mp3 and listen in car
14. create study group
15. create social circle with networking focus
16. make new friends in the networking field
17. break my old habits of snacking in front of the tv
18. develop quick and healthy daily reward system for meeting goals
19. realize my accomplishments and self praise
20. take action anytime i have free time

I now feel focused with a more defined plan.

Before now I thought I had two major goals, my fitness is very high on my Goal list and Im struggling to lose these last 20lbs but now I see my fitness while required is secondary to my career goals.

Anyway, I hope this helps some of you like it has for me.icon_thumright.gif