Options

What do One do, if graduate with B.S. in IT but have zero experience ever working?

Okay so I plan to go to WGU and get my bachelor in Information Technology, but I plan to do full-time studying without going to work until I graduate. I was panicking in my mind last night thinking of the question. What do I do? If I have a B.S. in degree, but zero work experience? How do one get a job with zero experience? Is it good to get Comptia A+, Network+ and security+ and CCNA? Would that help? Please let me know your opinion, thanks you.

Comments

• Options
    FlyOnTheWallFlyOnTheWall Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm also interested in this thread since I'll have literally the same exact situation coming up. I've been self employed for the 10 years of my adult life. No references, or work experience. I'm also starting WGU shortly, I imagine without experience we would have to start out with an internship or a below average entry level job.
  • Options
    metalone4metalone4 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Network with people. Get out there and go to conventions if you don't already have friends in the IT industry. It's more about who you know than what you know, especially in the early stages. Recommendations are often what lands people jobs, especially those with little to no experience. Also, in interviews when you have no real world experience, it's important to display knowledge, but even more important to display a winning personality. If they like your personality and can tell you catch on quick, then they might give you a shot.

Use sites like Linkedin and Meetup to network. You'll meet colleagues, recruiters, and hiring managers online and also have the opportunity to attend meetings in your local area.

When applying online, if you find something on a career search site, go to the company's website instead and apply within their site. The theory is that your resume has a better chance of being seen by that company.
  • Options
    faintingheartfaintingheart Member Posts: 256
    Thanks for the tip.
  • Options
    metalone4metalone4 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the tip.

Sure thing! Best of luck to you.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Having the degree and the certs, without the experience, will put you in the running for jobs. Unfortunately, the lack of experience could be a problem. As mentioned, while you are studying, you should be networking, volunteering, etc. That will be helpful. Be prepared to explain to the hiring managers why you have no experience. If you track your education through the use of blogs, that might give you a bit of an edge. LinkedIn has a blogging function, so put that to good use. You can also utilize blogger.com. Whatever gives you a legitimate edge, jump on it.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    What about volunteer to do free work to gain experience? How do you volunteer?
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Churches, non profits, other small businesses are good places to volunteer. Look at volunteermatch.com as well. If you search for computer or IT usually you can find something.
  • Options
    Is internship another good way to gain experience?
  • Options
    $bvb379$bvb379 Member Posts: 155
    Is internship another good way to gain experience?

Coming from someone who is in the same boat as you and having friends who have degrees and have done internships, I can tell you that internships trump over any previous work experience you have or don't have because it is viewed as professional/relate-able experience.
  • Options
    LugknutsLugknuts Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There is no substitute for experience. For security, volunteer in a SOC. No one likes to read logs, they'll gladly allow you to do it for free, once vetted. For Net Admin, volunteer to field help desk calls for starters... it's not fun, but you'll meet folks. Folks who may be respected and can vouch for you on your resume. You'll gain hands on access to tools, systems, and architecture that you can reference in a real setting. Plus, and this is key, when you get to the technological part, you can have a few stories of problems you've faced and solutions you developed. Good luck to you, and cert up as well. Knowledge is great, and having Comptia, or like, say that have it is a bonus.
  • Options
    I want to thank all for the awesome advice! Now i feel more confident. At the moment, I'm trying to get my first certification (comptia network+). icon_cheers.gif