Stay or Bail

InetmanInetman Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I work as a senior network engineer for a business unit within a global company (a name we all would recognize).

Last year rumors indicated the company was hiring IT staff in a foreign country to save money. Recent LinkedIn searches (i.e. google search "country name" "company name" site:linkedin.com/in OR site:linkedin.com/pub) show a very large number of IT people working for the company in the foreign country in question.

Late last year the company indicated intent to layoff staff and in the last few weeks nearly everyone I work with at corporate IT has left the company for other opportunities. Additionally, a CCIE "network manager" with over 10 years with the company emailed my boss inquiring about opportunities within the business unit I work in.

My workload is completely full with new projects. With over 10 years experience I certainly feel like I could compete with most other people in my industry, but not on a per-pay basis with people overseas. I work mostly on network security items (Checkpoint, Cisco ASA, F5, cloud networks, etc) that are in remote locations.

My resume is mostly up to date and I have other job leads. Question is would you stay or bail?

Thank you for your feedback!

Comments

• Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd definitely interview elsewhere and see what sort of work is available in your area.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    Polish the resume and you'll be surprised what you get offered.
  • CleverclogsCleverclogs Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd say get your CV updated and then quietly see what's out there.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd defiantly be looking / interviewing elsewhere.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The best time to find a job is when you have a job.

This is happening to a company I know of as well.... ;)

Good Luck!
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You're in a good spot in your life. While you know where the road you're travelling down goes, you have the time and opportunity to look around and be choosy about staying on that path or venturing down any of the side paths that may show up as you walk along. It's free to look, and IMO change is an opportunity, not a weakness.
  • koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Here's another vote for bail. Do not be the captain of the Titanic going down with the ship. Get out before it's too late.
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Jump ship immediately don't even put on your life vest!
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Has HR been communicating anything with the layoffs and has there been any severance packages offered? Besides time built up with the company and salary/benefits you have received are there any other reasons you want to stay?
  • LugknutsLugknuts Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd be prepped to jump quickly. While waiting word on vested options or severance items, I'd prep the resume and put feelers out, contact recruiters and such. Then determine what's best from there... either new job, or sticking it out to see if anything is left there. At any rate, you need to see what you can compare your current endeavor to.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I mean there are a few ways to look at it. If everybody has left, you might be a part of the restructuring and thus are in an ok spot. I cannot imagine a US company getting rid of all their IT so they probably still need a little bit...due to things like language barrier, wanting to maintain a little control, etc. The downside is you don't really know what the day-to-day will look like...you might not get to do as much cool stuff...or you might get some new experiences.

Be open to looking but see if your company would offer incentives to stay. In the end...unless you sign something to stay, you are still flexible and can see what happens if you want.
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If the company you work for is the company I think your working for.

It's always had a large IT presents in that foreign country. Did you do a before and after search?

Yes, last year corporate IT was going through restructuring. Some redundant BU/departments merged. I think a few layoffs happened, but layoffs happen every year with this company, nothing really new...

If you don't feel like your job is secure, start looking around and find something better.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA