Options

CompTIA Certs

TC.TC. Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm new to the boards, but wondering a few things. I am in the process of getting my CompSci degree and haven't even started any courses but gen eds. I was wondering would it be advantageous to go straight to Net+ or just start with an A+ cert? Is compTIA even something I want to focus my time on? Zero IT experience so far, but know my way around computers a bit.

Comments

• Options
    scottishkiwiscottishkiwi Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    With zero IT experience you should definitely start with A+. This will give you a good grounding and will lead you naturally towards Network+ afterwards since A+ touches onto a lot of Network+ content so will set you up nicely to understand everything. A+ is very good and you will beneift greatly from it if you have zero experience now.
    2016 : CompTIA Network+ (Jan) [X], CompTIA Storage+ (Jan) [X], CompTIA Security+ (Feb) [X], Cisco ICND1 (Feb) [X], MS 70-410 (Mar) [X], Cisco ICND2 (Mar) [X], Juniper JNCIA-Junos (Apr) [ ], Amazon AWS CSA (Apr) [ ], VMWare VCP-DCV (May) [X], MS 70-409 (May) [X], MS 70-411+412 (May) [ ]
    2015 : ITIL Foundations (Dec) [X], PRINCE2 Foundation (Dec) [X], CompTIA A+ (Dec) [X]
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    CompTIA certs are vendor neutral so, this is a nice segue into certification exams...YMMV

Personally, I would take the A+, Net+ and possibly the Sec+ to start out and then look for vendor specific certs that match your goals. Yes, CompTIA certs are a little more money than MS certs, but you are investing into your future, are you worth it? Yes, I hope you said. It will be good practice, provided you take the studying seriously and attempt to plug your weak areas with understanding rather than memorizing oodles of practice tests. If you want to make IT your chosen career, than go with the value added approach!

Good luck.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?