Options

What after ccna???

maxbenzmaxbenz Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi guys, I don't have any degree or work experience in IT, all I have is A+, N+ and just got my CCNA. My question is do I have any chance getting into IT industry? Which certification could I get next to help me at least get an job interview? I was thinking in getting MCSA next. I've been looking for junior network admin or 1st line support but every job out there is asking for expirience. I'm even willing to work for free for few months.
And by the way I'm already 35 years oldicon_sad.gif

guys any any help will be very appreciated...

Comments

• Options
    dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds like you should try for a desktop support job or NOC depending on what field you are looking for.

I recently as of 2 years ago started in the IT field fully, had my A+ Net + and CCNA, i got lucky with a couple contracts with a recruiter then i landed the NOC position i am at now

My age is 33 years old, so dont worry about your age
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'll second the desktop/NOC idea. Not having a degree and experience hurts but someone is bound to give you a shot at an entry role. I like the MCSA next idea, it should really help in these types of positions.

Is attending WGU an option for you? You can get a degree and a bunch of certs at the same time.
  • Options
    Thank you guys, I'm in UK, I've been looking in London and Manchester even NOC they are asking for expirience.

should I put on my cv that I'm willing to work few months for free???
  • Options
    I wouldn't say you're willing to work for free. Not to mention things like labor laws can get in the way. Just work on your MCSA and keep looking.
  • Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You should send your CV, even if they are looking for experienced people at the entry level. Never know when you may catch a break.
  • Options
    Gpdriver17Gpdriver17 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm in the same boat as you! I swear EVERY NOC position I see wants 3-5 years experience, in my area. Try looking in another city that's not too far away if you don't mind driving a little. I've noticed in other cities around me many of the NOC jobs say no experience or 0-1 year. Also just apply to those jobs anyways, doesn't hurt anything. I could be totally wrong but it seems like when they list requirement for a job a lot of times it's like a wish list. Who knows what they area asking for and who is applying.
  • Options
    WonTonDonWonTonDon Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi

If you're willing to sacrifice money for experience, AT&T in Brno, Czech Republic are always looking for candidates that hold a CCNA to work as Tier 2 Network Analysts.
    The salary isn't great at all but the experience will get you far and it's a great company to have on your CV.
  • Options
    WonTonDon wrote: »
    Hi

If you're willing to sacrifice money for experience, AT&T in Brno, Czech Republic are always looking for candidates that hold a CCNA to work as Tier 2 Network Analysts.
    The salary isn't great at all but the experience will get you far and it's a great company to have on your CV.

hi mate

im in UK, we dont have AT&T here man.
  • Options
    WonTonDonWonTonDon Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    maxbenz wrote: »
    hi mate

im in UK, we dont have AT&T here man.

Dude, there's an AT&T office in Redditch, but as far as I know they are outsourcing all their new staff to the Czech Republic. You won't find any vacancies direct but if you go via NSC Global you should be able to find vacancy listings easily.

If you're willing to relocate for a year or so, consider it. I did the same. I was in a similar position to you. I had my CCNA, but no relevant experience and found no employers willing to take a punt on me. After a year I left and now work in the UK as a Network Security Engineer.

The money is probably less than what you would make, maybe working as a toilet cleaner in Tesco, but it is worth the sacrifice as the experience is invaluable, and the cost of living is relatively cheap in Cz.

Obviously if you have commitments such as family, kids, wife, or a needy gf, stay and look here, I'm sure something will come up soon.
  • Options
    Dude, there's an AT&T office in Redditch, but as far as I know they are outsourcing all their new staff to the Czech Republic. You won't find any vacancies direct but if you go via NSC Global you should be able to find vacancy listings easily.

If you're willing to relocate for a year or so, consider it. I did the same. I was in a similar position to you. I had my CCNA, but no relevant experience and found no employers willing to take a punt on me. After a year I left and now work in the UK as a Network Security Engineer.

The money is probably less than what you would make, maybe working as a toilet cleaner in Tesco, but it is worth the sacrifice as the experience is invaluable, and the cost of living is relatively cheap in Cz.

Obviously if you have commitments such as family, kids, wife, or a needy gf, stay and look here, I'm sure something will come up soon.

thank you, yes im willing to go abroad, will have a look on NSC Global website .
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have you thought about your CCNP Routing & Switching? It is a monster of a cert, 3 different exams: Troubleshoot, Routing, & Switching.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    danny069 wrote: »
    Have you thought about your CCNP Routing & Switching? It is a monster of a cert, 3 different exams: Troubleshoot, Routing, & Switching.

Yes I was planning doing ccnp next even already have all studying materials but I keep hearing that having ccnp cert and never worked in network before is useless.
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't worry about what people say, if you want a certification then go for it. Once you get your CCNP, you will have a chance to apply those skills in a real world environment at some point.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi

I got to the third phone interview applying for an AT&T role in Brno. The last interview was with a Network Engineer, Manager and HR. First question they asked me was what was the most significant fault I've ever resolved.

This was before I had any experience and still working in a Deli. The interview ended right after my best attempt of relating labbing as an example.

I heard its a bit of a hit and miss for AT&T in Brno, has its own closed social structure which if your not apart of, your screwed. This was years ago though.

Kai.
  • Options
    Kai123 wrote: »
    I got to the third phone interview applying for an AT&T role in Brno. The last interview was with a Network Engineer, Manager and HR. First question they asked me was what was the most significant fault I've ever resolved.

This was before I had any experience and still working in a Deli. The interview ended right after my best attempt of relating labbing as an example.

I heard its a bit of a hit and miss for AT&T in Brno, has its own closed social structure which if your not apart of, your screwed. This was years ago though.

Kai.

thanks for the info mate.
    so did you get the job ?
  • Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    maxbenz wrote: »
    thanks for the info mate.
    so did you get the job ?

Ha, no :) I should of elaborated that the question was actually the first question they asked me. They didn't feel the need to carry on after that.

I was giddy about the change of life and did some research into it during the time between interviews. You are generally housed in a block of flats with loads of other ex-pats who look out for each-other, people from all over the world. Lots of BBQ's etc. Czechs are renown as being extremely friendly and its a beautiful country, I'd probably give it another go depending how things work out for me in Dublin.

You could do it for a year, and see some amazing parts of Europe while gaining whatever experience you can from the work (although alot of it is 1st line support).
  • Options
    And another reason to consider is the Czech Republic has some of the best beers in the world. The bottled stuff they sell here in the USA is nothing like what they drink over there.