Options

passed ICND2 what now???

maxbenzmaxbenz Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi guys, I don't have any degree or work experience in IT, all I have is A+, N+ and just got my CCNA. My question is do I have any chance getting into IT industry? Which certification could I get next to help me at least get an job interview? I was thinking in getting MCSA next. I've been looking for junior network admin or 1st line support but every job out there is asking for expirience. I'm even willing to work for free for few months.
And by the way I'm already 35 years oldicon_sad.gif

guys any any help will be very appreciated...

Comments

• Options
    SvobodaSvoboda Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Where are you located?
  • Options
    Svoboda wrote: »
    Where are you located?

Im in UK, I have been looking in Manchester and London
  • Options
    gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    pinkiaiiipinkiaiii Member Posts: 216
    Ive said something similar before but start looking for every job you can,doing certificate after certificate is useless,even if you did ccnp no one would pick you as first or second choice-thus you earned your ccna that is your step into IT for either lvl 1 tech support or similar roles,hit up every business IT parks in your area with your CVs,get linkedin profile and land in some sort of IT job where you can apply at least some skills.

amazon would be your best bet-only thing you would lack there they are looking for people with linux certs-at least there are 100 jobs atm in Ireland from amazon looking for people with ccna and linux basics/data center certs-yeah experience they ask is 3y,but since main hub is in UK id imagine a lot more similar positions going.

Hit up every ISP in your area and contractors,since large companies branch out most jobs for contractors between cities towns urban areas etc.

Also speaking of lvl1 tech support-id avoid that youll pretty much read the stupid script and deal with people that most issues revolve never using windows pc let alone knowing basics of networking,thus A+ N+ is more then enough for such jobs,except companies like to make it sound like its some sort of special position,while if you ever have dealt with lvl1 tech support its mainly no skill job,just being able to look up persons account,ping their outside global address and say reset your router or guide them over to control panel or cmd,following scripted text step by step,and most likely being stuck in call center for rest of your life.

How do i know that,well because over the years ive dealt with dozens of calls myself,when BB goes down and its usually down to tech 2 support to fix screw up in wires or along the way every time,since its usually exchange screwed up,cables drowned or worn or some maintenance in the area.

That said im in similar age bracket and no it experience besides doing work for friends colleges who dont know how to even install windows or remove some browser addons,let alone not to press every stupid link online or to double check when installing some software that comes with 10 bundles of malware.
    Thus underselling yourself for experience where you wont see a switch wont do any impact on your experience,while its beneficial to have some skills at explaining basics,but that wont lead you to work or real hardware or put your skills into proper use.

Ive seen people in my course with more certs then average ccna and they still sit there without any previous IT experience,just collecting one after another yet no attempt or reason why they have it besides it looks good on cv and having one,its like having car without wheels sitting in your drive way,you can stare at it all day long but it wont bring you anywhere and just rust there.

So you sound like a smart guy-got your certs and congrats on ccna,thus put a suit on make cv stand out age is no limit in networking,and hit every major place you can,if you do poor on interviews ask for feedback,also companies like amazon intel ebay,pp,google,hp,dell, usually have HRs where you can come in and ask to do mock interview,thus finding out what you lack and what such companies look for in candidates or even ask to do work experience at no cost just to show you are eager to get into the field,since if companies hire you might have no experience but you do have fresh degree,that might turn into more if chance is given,thus dont undersell yourself since its not worth getting certs if you end up asking what to get next.Since when you move on them skills only stay on paper.GL :)
  • Options
    SvobodaSvoboda Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Typically over here you'd find your way into some sort of support role. Here in the Indianapolis, Indiana area those jobs can pay between $15-25/hr starting out. After getting a little experience, you'd likely try to parlay that into a junior systems/network admin role or something else outside of support as it can cause burnout and steal your passion for IT.
  • Options
    pinkiaiii wrote: »
    Ive said something similar before but start looking for every job you can,doing certificate after certificate is useless,even if you did ccnp no one would pick you as first or second choice-thus you earned your ccna that is your step into IT for either lvl 1 tech support or similar roles,hit up every business IT parks in your area with your CVs,get linkedin profile and land in some sort of IT job where you can apply at least some skills.

amazon would be your best bet-only thing you would lack there they are looking for people with linux certs-at least there are 100 jobs atm in Ireland from amazon looking for people with ccna and linux basics/data center certs-yeah experience they ask is 3y,but since main hub is in UK id imagine a lot more similar positions going.

Hit up every ISP in your area and contractors,since large companies branch out most jobs for contractors between cities towns urban areas etc.

Also speaking of lvl1 tech support-id avoid that youll pretty much read the stupid script and deal with people that most issues revolve never using windows pc let alone knowing basics of networking,thus A+ N+ is more then enough for such jobs,except companies like to make it sound like its some sort of special position,while if you ever have dealt with lvl1 tech support its mainly no skill job,just being able to look up persons account,ping their outside global address and say reset your router or guide them over to control panel or cmd,following scripted text step by step,and most likely being stuck in call center for rest of your life.

How do i know that,well because over the years ive dealt with dozens of calls myself,when BB goes down and its usually down to tech 2 support to fix screw up in wires or along the way every time,since its usually exchange screwed up,cables drowned or worn or some maintenance in the area.

That said im in similar age bracket and no it experience besides doing work for friends colleges who dont know how to even install windows or remove some browser addons,let alone not to press every stupid link online or to double check when installing some software that comes with 10 bundles of malware.
    Thus underselling yourself for experience where you wont see a switch wont do any impact on your experience,while its beneficial to have some skills at explaining basics,but that wont lead you to work or real hardware or put your skills into proper use.

Ive seen people in my course with more certs then average ccna and they still sit there without any previous IT experience,just collecting one after another yet no attempt or reason why they have it besides it looks good on cv and having one,its like having car without wheels sitting in your drive way,you can stare at it all day long but it wont bring you anywhere and just rust there.

So you sound like a smart guy-got your certs and congrats on ccna,thus put a suit on make cv stand out age is no limit in networking,and hit every major place you can,if you do poor on interviews ask for feedback,also companies like amazon intel ebay,pp,google,hp,dell, usually have HRs where you can come in and ask to do mock interview,thus finding out what you lack and what such companies look for in candidates or even ask to do work experience at no cost just to show you are eager to get into the field,since if companies hire you might have no experience but you do have fresh degree,that might turn into more if chance is given,thus dont undersell yourself since its not worth getting certs if you end up asking what to get next.Since when you move on them skills only stay on paper.GL :)

Thank You very much for your reply mate, helps a lot. i will indeed start looking every where. the reason why i thinking in start studying now for MCSA is because most of the network administrator jobs advertise ive seen they are asking for active directory and also would like keep myself busy while i looking for job.
    thanks a million for your reply...icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You shouldn't be seeing much of MCSA in true network admin/engineer positions but sometimes HR likes to throw the "network" word around in what appear to be systems admin/engineer positions. In your case MCSA makes the most sense since you are going broad and trying to get in any way that you can. If you get MCSA and are still unemployed the next step would be the VMWare certs.
  • Options
    koz24 wrote: »
    You shouldn't be seeing much of MCSA in true network admin/engineer positions but sometimes HR likes to throw the "network" word around in what appear to be systems admin/engineer positions. In your case MCSA makes the most sense since you are going broad and trying to get in any way that you can. If you get MCSA and are still unemployed the next step would be the VMWare certs.

even if i start studying for CCNP grt the certification, without experience it will be worthless right?
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    maxbenz wrote: »
    even if i start studying for CCNP grt the certification, without experience it will be worthless right?

I don't think gaining extra knowledge can ever be considered worthless. The problem though with CCNP and zero experience is that you will be under qualified for CCNP jobs and maybe overqualified for NOC/Junior jobs. Hiring managers might see your CCNP and think "he will leave me the second he gets a better offer".

So instead, if you want learn more Cisco, it may be better to go broad in the CCNAs than to get CCNP. You can get CCNA Security and CCNA Collaboration which is also 3 exams and you can do it much quicker than CCNP R&S. I would get the Collaboration first if it was me. I frequent the job boards a lot cause I'm also looking and I see a TON of Voice. A lot of SMBs cannot afford a dedicate Voice engineer so they want basic VOIP out of their network admin.
  • Options
    koz24 wrote: »
    I don't think gaining extra knowledge can ever be considered worthless. The problem though with CCNP and zero experience is that you will be under qualified for CCNP jobs and maybe overqualified for NOC/Junior jobs. Hiring managers might see your CCNP and think "he will leave me the second he gets a better offer".

So instead, if you want learn more Cisco, it may be better to go broad in the CCNAs than to get CCNP. You can get CCNA Security and CCNA Collaboration which is also 3 exams and you can do it much quicker than CCNP R&S. I would get the Collaboration first if it was me. I frequent the job boards a lot cause I'm also looking and I see a TON of Voice. A lot of SMBs cannot afford a dedicate Voice engineer so they want basic VOIP out of their network admin.

Yes you you are right mate will have a look on them.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Koz's advice sounds good.

but... i say still consider getting the CCNP anyway (if your schedule allows).
    Just leave it off your resume/CV.

Once you finally land a network job... and gain a little experience... THEN you can add it back on :]

I have a dozen certs; but i only list the ones that i CHOOSE to when applying for a job.
    That way i Never appear OVER-Qualified...

Valar Morghulis o_O