Options

Is wearing Suits to interviews still the thing to do?

13»

Comments

• Options
    TillyTilly Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When I interviewed at JPMorgan Chase the 1st time I wore a suite. Then second time I interview for a full time position ( I was working as a contractor there currently) I wore normal wear which was dress shirt nicer slacks and shined shoes.
    My new theory is:
    If I don't know or didn't ask what the culture is WEAR SUIT
    If culture is business: WEAR SUIT
    All banking / financial institutions WEAR SUIT "Cant go wrong"
    Tech companies Dress shirt Slacks
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    OctalDump wrote: »
    I think that you should show up naked. It proves you have nothing to hide, and that you embrace openness, transparency and thinking outside the box.

Like I need them to be disappointed twice.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    renacido gave the best advice from what I can see, and I would add that it's OK to ask beforehand what type of dress code is best for the in-person interview.

I interviewed a guy last year who came in with a dirty, sloppy & untucked shirt. Unfortunately I noticed this within the first few seconds of the interview and it lowered his chance of having a successful interview. Whatever you wear, make sure it's clean & ironed.

I've also had candidates come in wearing a suit that was far too small or too large. Even when wearing a suit is appropriate, ideally you want it to fit well; and if it doesn't, you should consider if wearing something better fitting would ultimately make your "sale" more appealing.
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    It matters. I always dress to impress. However, I would dress the same as the guys on that company once I get hired.

Here you go! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT_vf5ioXXk
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Great point by rsutton. A lousy fitted suit is just as bad as showing up wearing jeans to a financial sector interview. Keep in mind that well-fitted suit does NOT necessarily equal expensive. You could totally rock a Stafford suit and completely ruin a Zegna.

Illustrated version of suit fitment for those who may need it: How Should a Suit Fit? Your Easy-to-Follow Visual Guide | The Art of Manliness
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    rsutton wrote: »
    I've also had candidates come in wearing a suit that was far too small or too large. Even when wearing a suit is appropriate, ideally you want it to fit well; and if it doesn't, you should consider if wearing something better fitting would ultimately make your "sale" more appealing.

I've seen this a lot with the suit crowd. It's quite obvious they pull it out once every couple years for an interview and it's ill fitting.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    FillAwfulFillAwful Member Posts: 119 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Initially I like to dress up. However, not in a full suit. I personally think I look good in a well fitting pair of dark grey slacks, solid color shirt, and solid or not too loud tie with dress shoes and socks. Also, I almost always wear my glasses, you know, to look smarter.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    FillAwful wrote: »
    Initially I like to dress up. However, not in a full suit. I personally think I look good in a well fitting pair of dark grey slacks, solid color shirt, and solid or not too loud tie with dress shoes and socks. Also, I almost always wear my glasses, you know, to look smarter.

I have learned it depends the job. This is how I usually dress.
    High level companies or Fortune recognized companies toss a suit/sport jacket over the top of that and you are golden.