Options

CCNP ROUTE lab - ISRv1 vs ISRv2

OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
So, I am currently studying for the CCNP. I have a couple of sims, but I am also building up a small lab with hardware.

I have a 2851 already and also an 1841 on the way, along with two 3560s. The recommendation is to have 4 routers. The ISRv1 are cheap enough to do this, but if the ISRv2 - eg 1941 - has some huge advantage, I might get one (or two if the deal is spectacular).

The materials I am reading reference ISRv2 equipment, but say that ios 15 is the actual requirement. Which makes me think some suitably upgraded 1800s or 2800s might be good enough.

In the medium term (next 3 years), the only other CCNP level I might do is CCNP Security or CCDP, if that makes a difference.

Is there anyone doing (or completed) the current 300-101 ROUTE (or the 300-135 TSHOOT) who has a good idea of whether the ISRv2s are worth it?
2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM

Comments

• Options
    d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    I would go for the ISR G1 gear, since its way cheaper than the newer ones.

The routing protocol syntax and the concepts are the same (except for EIGRP, I believe) and you should be able to do the same on both gear.

If you really want the feel of IOS15 without buying new gear, use GNS3 (the 7200 router supports IOS 15) or maybe CSR1000v (IOS XE).
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    At the CCNA and CCNP level, an ISRv1 (1800, 2800, 3800) is fine. Plus, you don't have to worry about Universal images and License Packs.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If your using the ciscopress/netacad lab manuals. G1 ISRs should be fine. Even if you run into a lab that won't take all the commands, the lab manual has the show command output so you'll still know what's going on in the lab.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. They are useful.

I'm going to use mostly the Cisco Press materials - the Foundation Learning Guides and lab manuals, so it sounds like the ISR 1s will be good for most of that.

I'm going to keep an eye out for a cheap ISR 2, but will get a couple more 28xx's to complete this lab. I've managed to find some cheap Catalyst 3560s, so will probably get 2 more of those as well if they work well.
  • Options
    OctalDump wrote: »
    I'm going to keep an eye out for a cheap ISR 2

One thing to be aware of when looking for ISR G2s or newer Catalyst Switches (e.g. 3560E) is that Cisco did away with the separate IOS images used on older devices. You won't be able to just load an Advanced IP Services image on new devices like you could the older ones. For this reason, I would suggest looking for one that shows the output of a POST, show version, or show license.

There are 3-4 basic licenses for Routers --

ipbasek9: This is the equivalent of IP Base on older devices. This license will always be enabled, so you will get at least IP Base functionality.
    datak9: Enables Protocols such as MPLS and ATM
    securityk9: Enables Security Related Features such as IOS Firewall, IPS, VPN
    uck9 (Not Supported on 1900 Series): Enables VoIP/Collaboration Features

The License type listed should be "Permanent". Otherwise, it is a time limited evaluation license. While you may not need certain features now, it is worth looking for a device with the licenses already installed as down the road if you had to buy the licenses, they frequently cost as much or more than the routers go for on eBay. The Auction doesn't have to specifically list the licenses. I bought a 1921 for example that didn't mention any licenses in the auction listing text, but the screenshot of the POST or show version clearly showed the datak9 and securityk9 licenses as "Permanent".

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-20321
  • Options
    theodoxa wrote: »
    One thing to be aware of when looking for ISR G2s or newer Catalyst Switches (e.g. 3560E) is that Cisco did away with the separate IOS images used on older devices. You won't be able to just load an Advanced IP Services image on new devices like you could the older ones. For this reason, I would suggest looking for one that shows the output of a POST, show version, or show license.

There are 3-4 basic licenses for Routers --

ipbasek9: This is the equivalent of IP Base on older devices. This license will always be enabled, so you will get at least IP Base functionality.

My understanding is that ipbase is sufficient for CCNP route and switch. The CCNP ROUTE Lab Manual V7 uses 1941s with IPBase and either ios 15.2 or 15.4.

Of the old 1800 and 2800s, it seems that only the 1861 got 15.2.

Of course other streams (security, collab, DC, ISP) probably need more than ipbase. And CCIE R+S would be another matter again.

Cheap 1941s with ios15.4 are probably the best option - if you can find them, that is.
  • Options
    OctalDump wrote: »
    My understanding is that ipbase is sufficient for CCNP route and switch. The CCNP ROUTE Lab Manual V7 uses 1941s with IPBase and either ios 15.2 or 15.4.
    ipbasek9

Flexible Netflow, IPv6 Parity for IPV4 features, AAA, BGP, OSPF, EIGRP, ISIS, RIP, PBR, IGMP, Multicast DHCP, HSRP, GLBP, NHRP, HTTP, HQF, QoS, ACL, NBAR, GRE, CDP, ARP, NTP, PPP, PPPoA, PPPoE, RADIUS, TACACS, SCTP, SMDS, SNMP, STP, VLAN, DTP, IGMP Snooping, SPAN, WCCP, ISDN, ADSL over ISDN, NAT-Basic, X.25, RSVP, etc...
    datak9

MPLS, BFD, RSVP, L2VPN, L2TPv3, Layer 2 Local Switching, Mobile IP, Multicast Authentication, FHRP-GLBP, IP SLAs, PfR, DECnet, RSRB, BIP, DLSw+, FRAS, Token Ring, ISL, IPX, STUN, SNTP, SDLC, QLLC etc...
    securityk9

IKEv1/IPsec/PKI, IPsec/GRE, Easy VPN w/ DVTI, DMVPN, Static VTI, Firewall, Network Foundation Protection, GETVPN, etc...

On the ISR G1s, you needed Advanced IP Services to get IPv6 support, but it appears that IPv6 has now been moved to IP Base. It appears that Data is required for IP SLAs and GLBP is listed under both ipbasek9 and datak9, which leaves some question. That said most FHRP labs use Layer 3 Switches rather than routers - as they are a SWITCH topic. You should be able to use IP Base and do IP SLAs on other devices. IP SLA only requires one device to support it at the CCNP level as if I remember correctly, they are only expecting icmp-echo.

For CCIE: R&S, datak9 is required for MPLS, BFD, and possibly other topics. securityk9 is required for DMVPN and possibly other topics. For CCNP, MPLS and DMVPN are "describe" topics, so there is no need to lab either of them.
    Cheap 1941s with ios15.4 are probably the best option - if you can find them, that is.

There is also the 1921. It is basically a replacement for the 1841 and is rack mountable (1 RU).

Cisco
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have the FLG for CCNP Route and it states that all labs are done using IOU on Linux so if they feel its fine going virtual I think you should to ;)
  • Options
    So, now a bit of the way into CCNP, I can say that for SWITCH the 3560s are good enough. They are using 15.0(2). But the ROUTE uses ISR G2s with IP BASE, and 15.2 or 15.4. The 1921 and 1941 are suitable. You can get away with the x800s, but will need 15.1 with Advanced IP Services, which needs 128Mb Flash (the image is like 65MB). You also need (compatible) serial cards in each.

However, many people are claiming success for ROUTE with the various virtualisation options, which is probably a smart path to look at also.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If you're google game is good - there is a 15.3 IOS image that will run on an 1841 (15.3XB) which, IIRC, will run the newer syntax (i.e. Named Mode) EIGRP.
  • Options
    gorebrush wrote: »
    If you're google game is good - there is a 15.3 IOS image that will run on an 1841 (15.3XB) which, IIRC, will run the newer syntax (i.e. Named Mode) EIGRP.

I remember seeing that mentioned as a possibility in posts about the INE CCIE: RSv5 topology. There are also virtual options such as CSR-1000V. Personally, I prefer being able to use physical equipment, but once you start needing IOS 15.2 or higher, this gets a bit expensive. CSR-1000V uses IOS XE (basically, a modular IOS running on top of a Linux kernel), which seems to be where Cisco is going on their new Routers (4000 Series) and Switches (3850 Series).