Options

Want Advice on my Path to Network Engineering

So this is another one of those "my current role has become stale" threads.

To the point: My job is basically desktop support with extra responsibilities. I'm the lone IT contact during night hours at a 24/7 production facility. Overall it's a quiet and easy job. I troubleshoot any local server problems or LAN networking issues. Anything else is escalated. Also do a lot of basic tasks like cabling, rack/stack, setting up access switches, patching servers, etc.

I've been here almost 2 years now. Prior to this I worked overnight at an MSP basically just looking at an NMS client and calling whoever was on-call if something went down.

I just got my CCNA a couple months ago and have been looking at jobs since then. I live in the Philly area and am not sure what role I should be looking for next. I'm thinking maybe a NOC role, but I don't want something too easy that will be a lateral move. A Jr. network engineer role would be perfect.

I want something where I can learn the ropes of being a network engineer.. around here there doesn't seem to be anything like that though. I see so many mid-senior level network engineer jobs (multiple everyday) in this area but literally nothing junior level. The only opportunity I had so far was when a recruiter contacted me about a jr. network engineer job for an expanding company who needed more network guys.. nothing came of that though.

Any advice on where you guys think I should go from here? Would a move to a NOC troubleshooting cisco and other vendors be a good move or too lateral? Those jobs are pretty rare in this area though, I've only applied to a few of them in 2 months.

Sorry if this thread seems vague I basically just want some opinions on what a good next move could be.

Comments

• Options
    kjennings2523kjennings2523 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dude, I was pretty much in the same boat as you. I wanted to get out of desktop support as I have been doing it for many years and decided to get certified in networking. Well my company has had a rough time recently and started doing layoffs which I was able to survive. I did an interview with another company for a Tier 1 NOC position which was the midnight shift (I am currently doing the 8 to 5 day shift). The job was pretty much a lateral move in terms of pay but I was offered the job after I did a grueling 3 hour interview with like 6 different managers no joke.

I was actually going to take it so I put in my letter of resignation and another manager heard I was leaving and offered me a job in security since I did some access control work when I first got to this company. Well I went back to my boss and asked him where there any networking job openings since they did layoffs and some people have just left to find other jobs. He talked to his bosses and they offered me a network engineer job at this same company so that way I didn't have to leave or lose my benefits. The pay is still about the same but the experience I am getting so far has been well worth it.

I was going to take the Tier 1 NOC job just to get the experience and was going to the midnight shift, so that's how much I wanted to get into a networking type of role. Thankfully was able to stay at the same company in a junior type of role as a network engineer 1. They guy training me is a senior level engineer and has been great. I would not have got this job without getting certified and showing a eagerness to learn and try to move up in my career. I really don't know what your next move should be but get any kind of experience you can get or just take a chance on something related to what you want to do.