Options

Redundant Network Design

NicolaiBNicolaiB Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi

I'm designing a redundant network design for lab purpose, but are struggling with the convergence time..

Heres the setup:

14ifm9w.jpg

The requirement to the task is that traffic between each vlan has to be filtered in the firewall, and therefore i cannot place routing on my core switches otherwise the vlans would be able to reach eachother without passing through the ASA, so ive placed all the SVI's on the ASA Firewalls and trunket all vlans to them. I have configured failover between the two ASA Firewalls and everything seems to work perfectly apart from one thing..

I have configured the failover on the ASA to trigger if just one interface goes down which equals one vlan across the trunk goes down, the ASA will failover to the standby unit. So if i pull the power from Core Switch1 the ASA fails over to the secondary unit, but spanning-tree convergence time isn't particularily fast.. As anticipated it takes rougly 50 secs for spanning-tree to open the redundant way to the secondary core switch after a failover has occured.. How do i speed that up? Ive tried configuring spanning-tree uplinkfast with no luck, and ive even tried to configure spanning-tree portfast trunk on all uplink/downlink ports which didenøt make a difference either

My Core Switch1 is root primary for all vlans and Core Switch2 is root Secondary for all vlans, and i'm running Rapid-PVST.

Any suggestions on how i can improve the downtime caused by spanning-tree when one of the core switches goes down?

Comments