Options

The McAfee virus

jacev1jacev1 Member Posts: 107
"NEW YORK: Anti-virus programme maker McAfee Inc. has admitted that its update for a number of virus-scanning products caused havoc Friday in corporate and consumer systems using the virus protection products when a virus definition file triggered the quarantine or deletion function for several executable files, including Microsoft's Excel."

McAfee causes havoc
Wars not make one great. Coffee makes one Great!
- Master Yoda

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Yeah, I just heard the details in a CNET podcast. If you had your McAfee A/V set to automatically delete .vir files rather than just quarantine them, you'd loose all the exe files belonging to Excel, Macromedia Flash Player, Adobe Update Managers, and the Google Toolbar Installer. Nasty!

McAfee recommends restoring the munched applications from a backup. (Yeah, I just happen to have a recent backup of my computer right here.)

McAfee also recommends using system restore points to restore the munched apps. However, because restore points can contain virii that were previously cleaned from a system, McAfee also recommends deleting all restore points after a system is cleaned. Oops! Shoulda procrastinated on that one!
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow that sucks.

AVG Free all the way!