Options

Looking for Some Guidance

StrifeXStrifeX Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone. I'm looking for a bit of guidance and information as large changes in my life approach, so hopefully some of you can relate or have been through something similar.

Background: I'm currently in the military. I work in network defense (about 2 years now). Prior to that, I work on electrical systems on aircraft. I have received various areas of training, and have received Sec+ and GCIH certifications. I am Air Force, and E-5.

So, my search for guidance stems from the fact that I have approximately one year left in the military and would like to separate. However, my enormous concern is whether or not I am anywhere near a level that employers would consider hiring. Unfortunately, I do not have a degree, but I have been working on it.

First question. I am trying to figure out how to finish my degree. I have looked at a few schools, primarily UMUC and WGU (both seem to be well known around here). Despite being almost completely enrolled in WGU, I think I'm going to end up going with UMUC. The primary reason is that they offer a Computer Science degree, while WGU only has the Software developer degree (I'm wanting to program.) From what I could gather, Computer Science seems to be a more open degree, so I'm not locking myself into a too specific field. I've also looked at Florida State University's online Computer Science plan, but not too much. Does anyone here have any experience or info in this? Is my train on thought on the right track?

Second question: While WGU offered the possibility of finishing their plan before I get out, I'm not sure how feasible it actually is. As for UMUC, it will bee the typical semesters. So, how likely and difficult of a task would it be to get a job without a completed degree? I know not everyone here hires, and not every situation can be accounted for. However, am I looking at one in a million odds?

Side notes: WGU said I'm 26% done with their Software plan. UMUC said I need 70 credits for CompSci, 61 for Software, or 55 for CyberSec. I have also enrolled in a program through Syracuse for vets to get my CISSP. This whole thing wouldn't stress me out too much, however, I now have a wife and daughter to care of.

Any help would be immensely appreciated. The military, while great, is not what I want to do for the rest of my life, but if getting a job with comparable pay when I get out is impossible, then I don't want to have to put that stress on my family. Thanks in advance guys.

Comments

• Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    When I started my BS degree I setup with a goal in mind. I wanted to be able to complete it within 3 years. Now keep in mind that I had 7 week condensed semesters, so I did 2 the first 7 weeks, and 1 or 2 the last 7 weeks. After I finished my degree, I had another goal of at least 2 certifications/classes per year, whether it be new certs, renewing certs, or whatever. If you want to get this done quickly, then I would suggest to start with UMUC, and try 1 class first, then increase from there. But the first thing you need to decide is a major and a school. You have military benefits to pay for it :)

Figure out what type of role you want to get into, keeping in mind that it will be a stepping stone process, and won't happen overnight. Any type of CISSP program/bootcamp will feed you at LOT of information all at once, so you may want to wait and get through your degree first. You can also get your SSCP, or CASP if you want to stay in infosec.
  • Options
    StrifeXStrifeX Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    kiki162 wrote: »
    When I started my BS degree I setup with a goal in mind. I wanted to be able to complete it within 3 years. Now keep in mind that I had 7 week condensed semesters, so I did 2 the first 7 weeks, and 1 or 2 the last 7 weeks. After I finished my degree, I had another goal of at least 2 certifications/classes per year, whether it be new certs, renewing certs, or whatever. If you want to get this done quickly, then I would suggest to start with UMUC, and try 1 class first, then increase from there. But the first thing you need to decide is a major and a school. You have military benefits to pay for it :)

Figure out what type of role you want to get into, keeping in mind that it will be a stepping stone process, and won't happen overnight. Any type of CISSP program/bootcamp will feed you at LOT of information all at once, so you may want to wait and get through your degree first. You can also get your SSCP, or CASP if you want to stay in infosec.

I greatly appreciate the advice. I understand that I need a goal to work towards, but I'm confused as to what it should be. As weird as it sounds, I'm not even sure what I can, let alone what I need to know. As I mentioned, if I had more than a year left, I wouldn't be as worried. But I do, and I'm highly worried that I without the degree at the time, I won't even be looked at. That's why I was leaning towards WGU at first, so I can try to get a degree done before I get out.
  • Options
    Russ5813Russ5813 Member Posts: 123 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Your military experience alone should net you some interviews-- Sec+ and GCIH are bonus points. If you have 1 year left, I'd start getting a feel for the job market now. The GI Bill is really great for paying the rent and all, but you'll want at least a part-time gig for the extra income/experience/resume builder. Don't get spread too thin studying for certs, going to college, and doing VCTP. Speaking from experience, pick one to focus on while you work. CompSci would probably be the best long-term investment, and you aren't going to wind up on the streets if you don't have a degree when you EAS.
  • Options
    AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It sounds like you'll easily be employable, though the type and level of job will depend a lot on where you live.

You didn't mention it, but have you considered extending? If you can extend for 6 or 12 months that would probably remove a lot of stress. You'd be a lot closer to having your degree done (or maybe have it complete).

Just a thought.