Guidance towards profession

Barett1065Barett1065 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,
New to this site. I have been looking around online about getting into the IT field, I have always been into computers and learning how they work. Unfortunately I did not have the money to pay for school when I graduated high school so I enlisted into the military and got out last year. I received my honorable discharge and all the benefits that come with it. I am out of the military now and have a family, I decided to go to devry and study on their cyberssecurity program. Only thing now is if I don't know if I made a mistake enrolling into devry because of all the negative comments I have seen regarding Devry, I have also seen that it's hard for someone to get a cyberssecurity job with no experience. My questions are was a it a mistake enrolling into devry for a profession in IT? Should I take a different program at devry like programming? And then get certificates on security? Is there anything I can do now to speed up my learning on the IT field? I have a family and I am working at a job I see no future in and want to be something in life. My work ethic is good and I learn things quick. What should I do?

Comments

• bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    I think an important question is how long have you been enrolled at Devry? If you have invested significant time there already I would finish. My father-in-law had a mediocre experience with Devry but it hasnt really stopped him from getting a job.

Also, you say you left the military? Are you looking to work DoD contracts or civil service? Because I can tell you that the degree, for the most part, is simply a checkbox around here. The government loves hiring people with degrees so definitely finish that.

What did you do in the military? Can any of it translate as IT experience? That could help leverage you a job if so. It may be difficult obtaining a security job without any IT experience, as well. You may need to look into desktop support roles or an equivalent entry position. if you already have a clearance, many DoD desktop roles pay decent, greater than 40k depending on the area you live.

Lastly, try to get a few entry-level certs to compliment your degree when you finish. If security is your career goal, try shooting for Security+, SSCP, or maybe a SANS GIAC cert if you can swing the money. You can use the VA to pay for certs too!
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Barett1065Barett1065 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've been at Devry for 3 sessions about to finish my 4th so that is about 8 classes so far. I live in California so what I want to get out of it is a job that pays good enough to have a nice living here. I know pay goes up with experience and years but I'm up for that I know I have to start at the bottom to get to the top. I am just scared with all that I have read about with devry.

I wouldnt mind mind working for the DoD at all but I'm open to working anywhere as long as I can gain knowledge and move up in the field. I definitely want to finish my degree and look forward to learning more about this filed I just want to make sure employers don't look down on degrees from Devry.

Unfortunately i didn't get any experience in the IT feels while I was serving I was pretty much on the ground training and fixing electrical systems on the vehicles that we used.

I definately want to get certs along with a degree. But would it be better to get a degree in programming and certs in security or go full into security? I am willing to put the time and effort to be able to call myself a professional.
  • bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Barett1065 wrote: »

I definately want to get certs along with a degree. But would it be better to get a degree in programming and certs in security or go full into security? I am willing to put the time and effort to be able to call myself a professional.

Security is what you desire, correct? I would focus on that Cyber Security degree. You can always learn programming in your spare time if that interests you. Since you are already quite invested into the program I say just finish it and then work on some certs.

I am not too keen on the job market in California but if you live near some of the tech cities I cant imagine it would be too difficult to get a decent job with a degree and some certs. Though your military experience isnt IT related, many employers respect military retirees and the dedication it takes to serve so at least you have that. You can use veterans preference to assist with landing a federal job so definitely take government jobs into consideration if there are any in your area.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I normally say you need a lot of IT experience to work in security, but from what I've seen over the past few weeks just about anybody can get hired for security nowadays. Demand far outstrips supply, so employers (in my area at least) are giving up looking for qualified, skilled applicants and are jumping on the "find a smart guy and train him" bandwagon. Not a great idea in my opinion when we're talking about security, but that's up to them I suppose.....
    Yes security is what I desire. I hear you can be self taught in programming if you put the time and effort into it so I will do that as well.i will definately get some certs as well to have it with my degree. I appreciate you're feedback you made me feel better in the choice I made.
    Yes I understand that you need to be skilled in the security filed. Which I am planning to follow trough with my education and then some. I know I have a lot to learn but something that I got from the military is to never give up no matter how hard the mission looks.