Options

Are ports/sockets considered layer 4?

m00ndoggm00ndogg Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
What layer are ports & sockets?
Smooth sailing!
~~~ _/) ~~~~

"...it's not my boat, it's my boss' boat..." (Capt. Ron)

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    So what is your understanding of layer 4? I think if you get that down pat you'll answer your own question.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Thanks for ...
    I believe that they are layer 4, but someone is trying to tell me that they are layer 5.
    I am only trying to get a definitive answer from someone smarter than me.
    Smooth sailing!
    ~~~ _/) ~~~~

• Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You guys are both right - L3-L7.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    steele84steele84 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Transport is how I remember.
    “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    LS1LS1 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I guess as long as you're not referring to network ports in a wall socket, then I think you're good icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    I like that!
    So ports are definately layer 4.
    What about sockets? Same?
    I would think so but would love to hear someone else say so!
    Smooth sailing!
    ~~~ _/) ~~~~

• Options
    NansNans Member Posts: 160
    m00ndogg wrote: »
    I like that!
    So ports are definately layer 4.
    What about sockets? Same?
    I would think so but would love to hear someone else say so!

A TCP socket is an endpoint instance defined by an IP address and a port in the context of either a particular TCP connection or the listening state.
    A port is a virtualisation identifier defining a service endpoint (as distinct from a service instanceendpoint aka session identifier).
    A TCP socket is not a connection, it is the endpoint of a specific connection.
    There can be concurrent connections to a service endpoint, because a connection is identified byboth its local and remote endpoints, allowing traffic to be routed to a specific service instance.
    There can only be one listener socket for a given address/port combination.

To be specific about what layer they are sockets help you identify the sessions or to separate the data from different application's which gives me a feeling that that they belong to layer 5 too. But usually they are mostly discussed in layer 4 transport
    2016 Certification Goals: CCNP Route /COLOR][B][/B][I][B]X[/B][/I][COLOR=#008000-->Switch/COLOR]:study:[COLOR=#ff8c00-->TShoot[], CCDP []
  • Options
    Great info there Nans!!
    Thanks for that...
    Smooth sailing!
    ~~~ _/) ~~~~

• Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A TCP or UDP Port is Layer 4 (Transport Layer). A Socket is a combination of a Layer 3 (e.g. IP) Address and Layer 4 Port, so I would say it is both Layer 3 and Layer 4.

Layer 5 is the Session Layer. It is responsible for establishing, maintaining, and tearing down Sessions. The Session Layer would establish sessions between sockets, but the Socket itself would be Layer 3/4.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]