Options

vmWare Lab / Stanly Course

dancreaneydancreaney Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi

I have enrolled on the March Stanly vmWare course with the intention of obtaining the VCP5-DCV cert. What (if any) additional resources have people used for this cert?

I'm mulling over options and price points for a home lab. What are people's thoughts on physical vs cloud labs / cost vs return.

Many thanks

DC

Comments

• Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Another option is to do nested virtualization. Just get lots of RAM and big SSD.
  • Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    In this day and age, are many companies still looking at using physical machines onsite anymore? The last 4 companies I worked for were all either fully cloud based or on their way to it, and most project management roles I look at are to work on migration to the cloud.

With this in mind, is there an effective way to use something like AWS or Azure to setup a VMWare environment more cost effectively and flexibly?

I'm taking the March CC course as well so this is of interest to me.

thanks
    Iain
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yes, companies definitely still use physical machines. I have clients with VMs that have done pricing for EC2 and would easily hit 100k/month or more, and taht's for smaller clients. Cloud is definitely not always a good price point, particularly for large single server loads.
  • Options
    dancreaneydancreaney Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    UncleB wrote: »
    In this day and age, are many companies still looking at using physical machines onsite anymore? The last 4 companies I worked for were all either fully cloud based or on their way to it, and most project management roles I look at are to work on migration to the cloud.

With this in mind, is there an effective way to use something like AWS or Azure to setup a VMWare environment more cost effectively and flexibly?

It depends on the company and the industry they are in. The cost of virtualization licensing for small companies can be prohibitive. If the amount of servers is small there is little ROI in hardware consolidation and it adds a layer of administration / knowledge that has a cost to maintain also. A cloud solution can remove the infrastructure administrative burden, but dependent on the industry they may not want, or be able to, maintain data with a third party for regulatory reasons - law firms for example need to be able to say exactly where their one's and zero's are physically located and who has access. A cloud solution also is only as good as your Internet pipe.
  • Options
    chappys4lifechappys4life Member Posts: 114
    I would say a ton of companies still use onsite hardware. My current company does and when I was at a MSP (last job a year prior) it was 70% onsite hardware