Options

VM for daily use

dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
anyone here use a VM as their daily PC? i have a Dell precision M4500 that i bought new in 2010. it has a quad-core i5 with 8GB Ram. knowing it is fairly old i thought of setting up a VM and using that as my daily PC. so last night i set up a Win7 test VM in my ESXi box with 12GB Ram and 4 cores. my thoughts were it would be easier to recover from a hardware (or software) failure if i were using the VM (provided i have a daily backup and snapshots). i have so much stuff loaded on my laptop that setting a new one up wold take weeks. i have a CNC machine in my garage and have the CAD software installed on here (several different programs), i am also an active trader in the stock market and have a few platforms running simultaneously during the day, and all of my practice/testing software. i dread the thoughts of this thing crashing and having to reinstall all of that. just thought a VM would make this process a whole lot easier. i would just RDP into my virtual desktop at that point. speed is another consideration. since my trading is often an in and out in 5 or 10 minutes speed is pretty important. will i see a significant speed reduction using RDP? based on my experience i would say no but have never tested that theory

Comments

• Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not a bad idea to use a VM for daily use if you don't need the hardware acceleration. Snapshots are definitely nicer than backing up a whole OS every time you make a change. I use VM's to test new programs or configurations before implementing into the host OS. I require hardware acceleration for some of the things I do, videos and games, but other than that living in a VM isn't bad.

I spend 95% of my time at work in VM's. I even use a Windows 8.1 VM instead of the very buggy Windows 10 host on my laptop. I know some will say that's a downgrade but as long as classicshell is installed I think 8.1 is microsoft's best OS so far. Windows 10 will eventually catch up or the hackers will eventually workaround all the bugs, forced automation and security issues.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)