Options

How do you learn 2 different IOS and keep them separate in your mind?

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
it seems common many places want Juniper and Cisco IOS..is this common and how do you keep the 2 separate in your mind?
I am just wondering don't you get confused? or do all Cisco engineers now a days have to be juniper savvy as well ? or is no different than understanding

checkpoint firewalls and ASA and PaloAlto

Brocade juniper cisco

do you have to master everything now to be a network engineer? I see so many job adds with all this stuff it seems like they want you to master everything for 55 to 65K only salary seems really a rip off for people who work hard to know a lot? just frustrating.

Comments

• Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would HOPE what they mean is that they want you to be familiar with networking technologies as a whole and capable of learning vendor terminology on the fly- Trunk Port/ Tagged Port etc.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Just learn the technologies foremost. After that it's as easy as looking up the command you need.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Member Posts: 180
    ^^^ What Networker said. I always say learn and understand the technology, configuration is the easy part once you know what you trying to setup you can just go look up how to configure it on the specific vendor.

I work extensively on Juniper and Cisco so some of the commands on Juniper have become 2nd nature, the nice thing about juniper the commands configuration remains relatively the same across all products except for Juniper products running ELS (enhance layer 2 software) where some of the configurations changes example L3 routing on EX4200 you use interface vlan unit x on ELS it is interface irb x
    2016 Goals: CCNP R&S, CCNA Security, CCNP Security
    LinkedIn
  • Options
    SvobodaSvoboda Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You don't. At least I don't. You spend lots of time cursing that you typed in a Cisco command on a Juniper device, curse some more and then look up the correct command verbiage. Enter it and move on.
  • Options
    d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    Svoboda wrote: »
    You don't. At least I don't. You spend lots of time cursing that you typed in a Cisco command on a Juniper device, curse some more and then look up the correct command verbiage. Enter it and move on.

This, hahahaha
  • Options
    anymore you have to program in so many languages just nutz like a web developer, you have to program in so many languages wow...the time involved but I guess we all do it sort of learning many things. but I do see me typing in wrong commands going back and forth yikes..willl try hahhah ;)
    thanks men
  • Options
    nk4512nk4512 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Command wise, Good luck. I work with cisco, alu, juniper, HP and i still try to use each others commands on each other. Just know the material, And the commands work themselves out. Muscle memory kicks in when you're at the keyboard.
  • Options
    thanks nk4512 just crazy hahah thank god for SDN hahahah coming down the pipe but yeah
  • Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    +1 Learn the technologies.

Tab and ? for doing the work.
  • Options
    bluejellorabbitbluejellorabbit Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I typed on Qwerty for years, and I've been typing on Dvorak for years, and I still get confused as hell when I have to switch back and forth between them.

Regardless, after I finish my CCNA, I think I will probably learn some Juniper and take the JNCIA exam since it's only $50.