Options

RHEL Resume Review

RHELRHEL Member Posts: 195 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey all. So, I've basically been using the same resume/template since I finished undergrad in late 2009. I have made gradual modifications and additions as I've built up experience, and it has worked very well for me so far.

I was fortunate enough to land my dream job right out of college, although having to travel 1,000 miles for it. The first job paid for the master's degree, and I have since been extremely lucky to find related roles with increasing responsibility in my field.

For the record, I'm not exactly living in a technical hub location. Quite the opposite. And that's exactly why I'm dusting off the old resume for improvements and revisions to plan out my next move, out of the area, in a few years.

Some major changes I have made:

* I dropped three technical seasonal/internship roles while I was in college as I did not want to exceed two pages.
* I updated technologies I currently work with as well as much current role and responsibilities.
* I decided to list my on-site vendor training courses. I did this because I figure that these companies have forked out close to $25K in training to me over the years to build upon my knowledge and skillset. I want to demonstrate that I have taken these courses, that I'm a learnaholic, and that my knowledge-base extends beyond the immediate workplace responsibilities.

Hopefully I'm on the right track with this. Thank you in advance for your time!

Edit: I know there's an employment between gap 2007-2009. This is time that I was in school full-time and had previously included those summer/seasonal internships I dropped from my resume. My full-time work experience did not begin until late 2009 post-graduation.

Resume-2016_Redacted-New.pdf

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You have enough experience that you don't have to list your education and training above your experience. I'd move your jobs up. I'm not sure of the best way to change this, but the entire first page seems like entirely too much listing, you have to get through all that before you see what you've really done, maybe moving the jobs up will help with that.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I'm not an expert on Resumes so take my points with a grain of salt :D

I would personally omit the first section "Overview of Qualifications"....too generic and not needed to be honest.

I would put the experience first, then education, then certification then training courses..but it doesn't matter...

I don't have a technical skills section...it looks useful...I try to put the skills in the experience section (e.g. mention that I did a migration from RHEL 4 to RHEL 6, instead of having a bullet point that says that I have RHEL4-6 experience.) but that's just me

again I'm not expert....I'd just elaborate more on the experience section and remove the unnecessary sections :)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can drop your oldest job as most chronological resumes only go back 10 years
    Change the Overview of qualifications to a "Professional Summary"
    Drop the operating systems in the technology section (roll it into your Professional Summary and specific job bullet points somehow
    Drop the technical knowledge in the technology section (roll it into your Professional Summary and specific job bullet points somehow
    I would arrange the next sections like Education => training => certifications
    Something that normally gets brought up is to add in a brief summary of each job just above the bullet points. This is another place where you can stuff some keywords to get past the HR scanners.

That's about it for now. Your experiance is definetely what will carry you through so play that up.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    RHELRHEL Member Posts: 195 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you all, I greatly appreciate the advice. It is always good to have an outside opinion -- after all, it'll be an outside opinion which decides whether or not to bring me in for an interview.

I'm now taking some time to figure out how to reorganize and even omit some of the unnecessary information.