Options

Starting WGU March 1st

ezy20004ezy20004 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I figured I'd share my experience as well. I was able to transfer in 43 credits. I have a CCIE Certification and A+ therefore it helped alot with CU's. I was assigned a Mentor but havent spoken to them yet. Im still trying to figure out how to setup my classes for the first term. I was able to access the courses and I already started to review them. I need to figure out how to breeze through the courses and complete my degree. I'll be glad to take any advice.

Thanks!

BS IT-Security

Comments

• Options
    NicWhiteNicWhite Member Posts: 134
    Take the pre-assessments and study your weak areas. my student mentor is very strict about me going through all the course material if I score < 85% on the pre-assessments, before she will approve me for the assessment. But you may have a different experience with yours.
    WGU - BS Software Development
    Start Date: 2/1/2016
    Transferred 40 / Complete 23 / Remaining 60
  • Options
    85% that is strict. I just scored a 83% on the Intro to IT pre assessment. I hope my mentor is not strict
  • Options
    Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A good read.... this guy finished his MBA in 14 weeks...

How I Did an MBA in 4.5 Months at WGU Online

And she completed hers in 14 weeks as well....

From a WGU forum thread....

[h=2]MBA in 14 weeks! Paying it forward![/h]

Happy Tuesday!

It's a happy Tuesday for me anyway because I got that last notification from Taskstream saying that my last task met requirements. As of about 1:00 pm ET today, I've officially earned my MBA.

I started the MBA - Healthcare Management program 1/1/2014. I'm honored to say that I was able to finish this program in about 14 weeks (4/8/2014). I wasn't able to achieve this easily but through great personal sacrifice, self discipline and dedication. Now, I'm not saying that you should want to be like me. Every person has to experience their own journey - this timing just worked for me. I'm crazy like that. However, if you WANT to accelerate this program, it can easily be done. Please keep in mind, this coursework is the REAL DEAL. It's not easy. No matter how much previous knowledge and experience you carry in with you, this is a tough program. Here are my tips for acceleration:

1. Jump into the tasks right away. It doesn't mean you can write up a 40 page document without any reading, but if you even have a few years under your belt in the business or healthcare world, you will already KNOW some of this material. Remember, WGU is competency-based. You want to take advantage of the competency that you have already mastered.

2. Watch the webinars and getting started videos in each community. This are crucial to passing and meeting requirements the first time around. If you are like me, getting work sent back is just not an option. I want it done right to begin with!

3. If, at any time, you are questioning yourself or part of the task, ask the mentors. Just do it. They are great. I would spend hours trying to figure out what something meant and once I emailed a course mentor, it would provide instant clarity. Asking for help isn't a sign of weakness nor a sign that you don't get the material.

4. THIS IS REALLY KEY: If you want to accelerate, be sure when you are into group courses (which require you to work with a team) that you let the course mentor(s) know you prefer to be placed in a group that wants to accelerate. I was placed with a fast-paced team with Leadership course and we finished in less than 1/2 the time that was initially communicated. Anytime you can be placed with like-minded team mates, your work becomes easier. I wish I would have done with with the Capstone. Lesson learned. Out of my 14 weeks, 6 were spent JUST in the Capstone. I had every single course finished before heading into the Capstone. My group had members that didn't want to go at my pace (and that didn't mean they were wrong in my eyes, but dang was it personally frustrating).

5. Utilize your student mentor. I spoke with mine weekly. I would share my progress and/or frustration with the slowness of things and he would always bring me back to Earth or talk me off a ledge. happy.gif He would share his experiences with me as well and that somehow made everything seem normal or at least give me encouragement that I wasn't abnormal. Although now that I think about it...... oh well.....

6. Always be working on something. I made sure that every day I was working on one of my tasks - even if it was only for a couple of minutes. I always had something in Taskstream waiting to be graded too. I'd find Monday - Friday easier to dedicate to school and would work on my tasks before work, during my lunch hour, after work, in the evenings, etc. Saturdays and Sundays I would still do work-related tasks, but some of it could have been researching topics or reading things in each of the communities while I waited on my son's TKD practice. It's important to keep moving even if it's small steps.

7. Breathe. Just breathe. You can do this. I work a very demanding full-time job that also requires frequent travel. I have a 7 year old son and a hubby that depend on me. I also teach Junior Achievement in the community. If I can do this - so can you!!

Good luck and FINISH STRONG!

Hope this helps.
    Hatch
  • Options
    Nice! Good stuff. I appreciate the feedback! I am definitely looking to accelerate.
  • Options
    Hey guys..so far I passed 3 classes. OPS I and II and ENG COMP II. Any advise on Humanities class? Or is there an easier class I can go for and knock out. Thanks