Options

preparation for GCIH

HiggsxHiggsx Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm preparing for GCIH exam what tips and tricks do you have to prepare for the exam?. Best practice to learn.
I have mp3 files but I'm not listening to them it is just boring. Do you advice me to listen them?

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Did you go through the class or are you challenging the test?
  • Options
    I have Sans OnDemand course. I'm watching videos
  • Options
    In that case you have all that's needed. Make sure you have a solid index and you'll be good to go.
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    In that case you have all that's needed. Make sure you have a solid index and you'll be good to go.
    what about mp3 files?
    Are they neccessary to listen?
  • Options
    The MP3s are the exact same stuff as the Live or OnDemand course. I have never used them.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    No tricks needed. Just study the course material and make a good index. I didn't use the mp3 files.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just finished the live course this past week.

I think when I create my index, I will make a it a little different from what I've done for other SANS courses.

My spreadSheet headers would be

Item...Application (software, malware, process, etc.)...Platform (Win or Linux)...Book #...Page #...Remarks

I hear the onDemand gives you access to a server to log into for the capture the flag exercise. I wish I had that to tinker with. We only have the 4 servers available to us on the last day in the Live class.

There was a lot of information in this course! More technical than a CISSP bootcamp.

I expect to take another month to go through the books and index along the way before I even tackle the first Practice Exam.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    BillHoo wrote: »
    I expect to take another month to go through the books and index along the way before I even tackle the first Practice Exam.

Good idea! I completed my index before taking the practice exam then modified it. Took the 2nd practice exam and modified it again.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    The MP3s are the exact same stuff as the Live or OnDemand course. I have never used them.

I have. I found the MP3 audio files for SANS 401 by Eric Cole both insightful and enlightening. While you could have just read the book and got the same knowledge required for the Exam, some of his security experiences and stories were very interesting to me. Some of which I will implement in the future when solving security issues. One example was he created VM explorer sessions for the executives that were consistently infecting there computers with malware, this way when they ended there explorer session, the VM was wiped and they could start a new session next time they opened explorer. I regret that I no long have access to the audio files, next time I'll write down some of his stories so i can refer back to in the future for security solution ideas.

It's best to follow along in the book when you listening to the audio files. I have been gotten spaced out before listening to them and realized I didn't adsorb a word he said in the last 10 minutes. I have to go back later and replay the last 15 or 20 minutes to make sure I retained what he was talking about. The audio files are just another aid to use, your not going to pass the exam just by listening to audio files.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    Although I haven't found any value in them, for those who have the luxury of time, by all means use them. As TechGromit said they are useful to provide additional insight. Also, the MP3s are from an instructor different to the one who delivered the class, you get the added benefit of hearing their take on the same material.
  • Options
    Thank for all of your replies guys. I wonder when and how I take my practice exam?
    I haven't found it in my OnDemand course.
  • Options
    When you go to SANS.org and log in, you will see a section titled "My GIAC Certification". Under that look for "Practice Tests".
  • Options
    BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Regarding the mp3 audio files.

Are those recorded in real time? I got the audio files when I took the gslc, but never listened to them.

If the class if from 9 AM to 5PM and you subtract lunch and the breaks, that over 6 hours of audio per day! Or 37.2 hours of recordings.

Spread out listening 30 minutes to and from work, would take about 7 and a half weeks!
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Regarding the mp3 audio files.

Are those recorded in real time? I got the audio files when I took the gslc, but never listened to them.

If the class if from 9 AM to 5PM and you subtract lunch and the breaks, that over 6 hours of audio per day! Or 37.2 hours of recordings.

For SANS 401, they were 2 hours each, I think there was 4 per book. Sometimes I listened to one two hours straight, other times it took me 2 or 3 times to complete one. I think it took me about month to get through them all. This didn't include other book studying time, and indexing the books when I wasn't listening to the audio files.
    Spread out listening 30 minutes to and from work, would take about 7 and a half weeks!

Not sure how much your going to absorb listening to them in the car. I tried to stay focused on them, otherwise it become background noise after a while and I realize I haven't absorbed anything for the last 15 minute or so of "listening".
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.