Options

Remote Jobs?

2»

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Remote job achieved! Same pay as what I'm getting now (which is fine), but a crap more opportunities since it's with an MSSP. Can definitely acquire more experience and do it all from the confines of my own home.
  • Options
    yourtechcareeryourtechcareer Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've had good luck picking up some side gigs on Upwork like email migration and some technical writing. I work remote for my day job a few times a week or sometimes weeks at a time if I ask in advance. I work at an MSP in management so it's easier than if I were working in the field. Mobility is great and working remote from out of the country is a cool experience. I do have to say, working face-to-face with your team has benefits too like quick decision making, no second guessing the tone of a Slack message or email, and a chance for meaningful on-the-fly meetings with coworkers.
  • Options
    Icecube0045Icecube0045 Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I work remotely one day a week. My job just started allowing us to work from home about 3 months ago as a trial for the university, its going well so they are going to expand it to more days. I like working from home because I hate waking up early but being in the office does have its benefits, like on the fly collaboration with colleagues.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Has this thread been stuck yet?
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    kiki162 wrote: »
    I have some remote spots open for people /w heavy cloud experience (i.e.: AWS and DevOps)

What about people who are just heavy? (Kidding) Anything Azure related?
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A few things that I have observed that might help someone make a somewhat more informed decision regarding working remotely:

1. Time management. It is really easy to get distracted by family, pets, etc. Make sure you have a place to conduct business that is as distraction-free as possible.

2. Work/life balance. It is easy, very easy, to spend more time working that you should, especially at home. I've done it and it is not going to make your family too happy. If I work from the office, work stays at the office (mostly). If I work from home, I tend to work my normal hours and then I will pop in and out several times throughout the evening. Be careful.

3. Make sure that your family is okay with it. My job, as an instructor, makes it hard for my wife to feel comfortable doing things around the house when I am working from home. She thinks that any noise she makes will either distract me or make my students think that I am being unprofessional. It's pretty rare for my students to hear anything going on outside of my office when I'm teaching, though it does happen from time-to-time (such as when one of my daughters stood outside of my office and yelled to her sister upstairs). Due to how uncomfortable my wife feels, I don't think that I would accept a fully remote job unless it required less than say 50% of the workday on the phone. If most of it is online communication, then it would be easier for the family.

Just some food for thought. Hopefully, it is helpful.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Got another job working remote, as a Sr Security Sales Engineer. Loving it! Only problem now is I have to put a door on my office since I'm actually running conference calls instead of just listening in on them. So I'm about to frame up the opening for me to pop the door in.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Got another job working remote, as a Sr Security Sales Engineer. Loving it! Only problem now is I have to put a door on my office since I'm actually running conference calls instead of just listening in on them. So I'm about to frame up the opening for me to pop the door in.

Great news, and a wise idea!
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Congrats! I keep pushing for more time averaging 2 or so days remote now. I'm sure eventually I'll look for something fully remote.