Options

Advice Needed on CCNA Security Path

elvinguitarelvinguitar Member Posts: 20 ■■□□□□□□□□
My goal is to take the CCNA Security. What do you think the path that I should take, CCENT>CCNA:Security or CCNA:R&S>CCNA:Security? If I will go with CCENT>CCNA:Security, is CCENT enough as a foundation for CCNA:Security? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    PhiersPhiers Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It really depends on what your end game is. However, the theory in Sec+ and the theory in CCNA:S have a lot of overlap so CCNA:S may be an easy win if you can get the other CCNA:S topics under your belt.
  • Options
    Phiers wrote: »
    It really depends on what your end game is. However, the theory in Sec+ and the theory in CCNA:S have a lot of overlap so CCNA:S may be an easy win if you can get the other CCNA:S topics under your belt.

My end goal here is CCNA:Security. I just want a comparison between CCENT and CCNA:R&S as a prerequisite for the CCNA:Security
  • Options
    PhiersPhiers Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    By end game, I meant do you want to be a network engineer that has exposure to security? Do you want to be a security engineer, firewall admin, or SOC analyst? If the former then CCNA:R&S -> CCNA:S is the way to go. However, if its the later then getting your CCNA:S with only the CCENT would be the path of least resistance.

To attempt an example that would require ccent but probably not ccna:R&S knowledge:

PC1 can't talk to PC2 across the IPSEC VPN. PC1 is IPed @ 1.2.3.130. PC2 is IPed @ 2.3.4.130 and the crypto acl being used on the router to send traffic into the vpn from PC1 to PC2 is "access-list 112 permit ip 1.2.3.0 0.0.0.127 2.3.4.0 0.0.0.255". You've narrowed the issue down to this access list. What is wrong?
  • Options
    NVLadyNVLady Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I did CCENT, CCNA and then CCNA Security. I found that the CCNA Security seemed easier than the CCNA R&S. I think part of your path depends on your level of experience. I went from running desktop support to networking, so that path above was awesome as it gave me a good foundation. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.
  • Options
    AMD4EVERAMD4EVER Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think one of the core differences between CCNA:R&S and CCNA:S is that with R&S you are going to be tested entirely on network related items. With Security, you do need to know security terminology and principles and how they relate to networking. It is more broad in that way. Phiers mentioned Security+. If you had both CCNA:R&S and Security+, you'd be in pretty good shape to dive into CCNA:S.
  • Options
    Actually, the career path that I want to take is the Penetration Testing path. I just want to get a CCNA:Sec (which might be helpful) while waiting for the CEH study guide
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CCNA:S has the pre-req of CCENT but you'd better have a good grasp of all CCNA:R&S topics to be successful. IMHO, CCENT wouldn't be enough unless you're a Cisco veteran...
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    fuz1on wrote: »
    CCNA:S has the pre-req of CCENT but you'd better have a good grasp of all CCNA:R&S topics to be successful. IMHO, CCENT wouldn't be enough unless you're a Cisco veteran...

Thanks for the advice. So I guess I'll do CCNA:R&S first before CCNA:Sec.