Options

looking for advice please

BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
hey guys im new to IT and am wanting to know what the first thing I should study is?

Im currently working 42 hours a week on a 4 on 4 of roster then on my days off I work along side my company's business analyst for work experience and she has recommended I do a course.

I already have a good understanding about the hard wear side of IT as I have built a lot of gaming PC's but I am needing to understand everything else there is to become a business analyst

My ultimate goal in life is to become a business analyst so any help in where to start would be amazing

Thanks

Brody

Comments

• Options
    techtiatechtia Member Posts: 144
    You already have your foot in the door, I think your company has more appropriate answers. Only thing I can think of is getting a bachelors in business.
  • Options
    Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi Brody,

There are some BA courses you can take (Business analysis | Certifications | BCS Certifications) - they mainly seem to be available in the UK. That's great that you're able to get some hands on experience on the job.

Other courses you might consider include process mapping techniques like OBASHI or value stream mapping.

Good luck!

Claire
  • Options
    NVLadyNVLady Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's fantastic that you have a mentor at your company that is willing to help you out. I would recommend perhaps starting at your local community college and get some classes in. Once you get your AA, you can then transfer to a four year school for a bachelors. You can also look at WGU. While I don't have any personal experience with it, I have heard good things about it.
  • Options
    BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cheers for the reply's everyone. Im currently working and cant afford to study full time this is why I do this on my days off. I was hoping to be able to do a online course at night to get a certificate in something relevant to help me get a better understanding of networking and stuff like that
  • Options
    PCExpertPCExpert Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Brody,

A tiny correction first, "hard ware" is spelt "hardware" - there is no space :)

Not 100% certain on this, but I didn't think a "business analyst" really had much to do with the tech side of things?? But if you're wanting to gain a better understanding of that side, then I guess you could either do your own research to learn things, or go for A+ study maybe (but again that's heavy technical). There is the Open University?

Also, again not meaning to be rude, but just because you've built a lot of gaming PCs, doesn't necessarily give you a good understanding of the hardware side of IT, and I'm not sure how going the gaming side is really relevant to business requirements?

Just my tuppence.