Got school IT service technician interview !!!

k31453k31453 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I landed interview for IT technician role with one of the private school in melbourne.

I was thinking what kind of questions they gonna ask me ?

About role:

It is internship role for 6 month.

Position description:
Diagnosing hardware/software faults laptops, desktops, tablets and peripherals
General maintenance on laptops, desktops, tablets and peripherals

Installation and deployment of software packages

Replacement of computer parts and basic technical support

Assist with logistics, moving and placement of equipment

Good record keeping

Service Desk Support and phone support for staff, students and parents

Liaising with vendors and suppliers

Basic network support and troubleshooting

Develop and maintain scripts and queries in PowerShell, Visual Basic and SQLDiagnosing hardware/software faults laptops, desktops, tablets and peripherals
General maintenance on laptops, desktops, tablets and peripherals

Installation and deployment of software packages

Replacement of computer parts and basic technical support

Assist with logistics, moving and placement of equipment

Good record keeping

Service Desk Support and phone support for staff, students and parents

Liaising with vendors and suppliers

Basic network support and troubleshooting

Develop and maintain scripts and queries in PowerShell, Visual Basic and SQL

Comments

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You pasted the description 2x, I was going to say, "they are really focused on good record keeping!" hah.

Anyway, tech-wise it sounds like A+ level material, support, some hardware swapping. If you're able to pick up some powershell along the way like they mentioned that would be great. It's an internship so focus on being friendly, emphasize how important service is. Even if you know all the technical answers, they want to be sure that when you're providing phone support to parents and staff that you'll be professional and nice.

Good luck!
  • k31453k31453 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you. You say emphasize on service what do you mean by that .. can you give me an example please?
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    k31453 wrote: »
    Thank you. You say emphasize on service what do you mean by that .. can you give me an example please?

Example would be when someone is upset on the phone and is complaining to you about something, you need to react professionally and not hang up the phone, you could say something like.. we are working to solve the problem and i will do my best to resolve this issue for you or something along those lines showing that you are patient with customers.

That would most likely would be a scenario based question where they ask you what you would do if an upset customer/user called in and complained how their ticket has not been resolved in 4 days. What would you do? First you would have to ask politely for the ticket number and research the ticket, if there's no history in it, you would have to contact the person who has the ticket while at the same time re-assuring the client that their issue will be resolved or that you are doing your best to help them. If you ever get stuck on something, send it to a higher level support but then look at the ticket to find how they resolved the issue so in the future you can do resolve similiar issues on your own.
  • dcarey4698dcarey4698 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm working a Help Desk internship right now. At my interview, my supervisor asked me technical questions that covered topics beyond what I ended up doing. For example, he was asking me why two PCs or a PC and a server couldn't connect, among other networking questions. He had diagrams and everything. I am pretty sure I got most of those questions wrong (he didn't tell me if I did or didn't) and still got hired. The job itself is way easier than that interview was. I would keep a bright personality and brush up on your technical knowledge and you'll be fine. Good luck!
  • k31453k31453 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you everyone for comments. By the way I got the job offer call after 4 hours of my interview.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations! Now get some experience, get promoted ,make some money, spend some money and buy some books for your next certificate.
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations on the gig!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • OmniTechOmniTech Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I'm looking to do the same thing.