Options

I have calmed down!

sumalsumal Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Let me try this again without the foul language. I failed my exam yesterday with a score of 837. I believe that I failed solely because of the simulation functionality.

Without violating the boards policy this is what happened: I had a simulation where I had to use the CLI to answer a 5 "packet" question. The first question had me stumped. I got frustrated because I couldnt find the answer. Out of desperation, I entered into the VLAN database and once I entered the VLAN database I could not exit out of it. I tried CTRL-Z, exit, and end. The simulation reported that the commands were not supported in this simulation.

Comments

• Options
    duncnzduncnz Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That sucks man. It's pretty rough that it is going to cost you a resit because Cisco can't write their exams properly icon_mad.gif
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Contact Cisco regarding this. Thats not fair at all
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    You should contact Prometric or Pearson VUE instead, explain it in detail, and you'll likely get a free voucher, 'if' you reported it at the test center at the end of the exam.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow, the exact same thing happened to me TWICE. I kept having the same problem on the simulation, and this was almost three years ago. I scored an 855 twice in a row due to that issue. The third time I realized my mistake on the SIM question and passed with a 9-something. The folks at the testing center (a New Horizons) were sympathetic but unhelpful.

(I think it 855, anyway it was just shy of passing).
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    sumal wrote:
    Let me try this again without the foul language.
    I always seem to miss the good stuff. icon_cry.gif
    sumal wrote:
    The simulation reported that the commands were not supported in this simulation.
    When in doubt -- re-read the instructions.

I've had a simulation where it states the order to perform the steps. In real life any sequence works, but for the sim -- if it says do something first -- do it.

It kept giving me invalid command errors until I entered the command it wanted first.

Does that suck? Yes! But understanding what they are asking for probably was part of the exam question -- pay attention to the details.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    sumalsumal Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Conversation with me trying to argue my case

My Cisco ID is CSCOHAHAHA and I failed my exam on 15 March 2006. My score was 837 and the passing score was 849. I had a problem with the simulation. It was a "packet" of 5 questions and all of the question had to be answered from the command line interface. The first question of the simulation was xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. I admit that the question had me stumped. I went into the VLAN database and I could not exit out of that mode. I tried typing in EXIT, END, and CTRL Z and none of the commands worked in that particular mode. I believe that the problem with this simulation contributed to my exam failure.

Cisco's response:

Dear Loser,

Thank you for your feedback regarding the exam.

Your concerns have been forwarded to us for further assistance. Please update your case with the requested information below so that we may further research your exam:

- Testing Vendor used to take test (Prometric or VUE):
    - Were comments submitted within the exam?
    - Did you report this to the test administrator?
    - Do you know if a site report was created at the test center?

If you experienced a problem with a simulation item please answer the questions below:

- What were the error(s)/issue(s) you had received:
    - What were the exact steps, command(s) or command string(s) you were using when you received the error(s)/issue(s):

We appreciate your continued patience in this matter and look forward to your response.

Best regards,
    Cisco Certifications and Training Team

My 2nd response

-Testing vendor was VUE

-No, I didn't submit comments within the exam. If I could have paused the timer, I would have submitted a response.

-No, I didn't inform the administrator. I was too upset to hold a decent conversation with someone. I didn't see how she could have helped. She was a librarian not a Cisco proctor God. By the time I got the test administrator, my precious time would have been ticking away.

-No, I don't know if a site report was submitted.

If you experienced a problem with a simulation item please answer the questions below:

1. While trying to find a solution to the simulation question, I went into the VLAN database and I could not exit out of it. I tried END, EXIT, and CTRL-Z.

2. The system reported that all of the commands that I typed were not supported in the simulation.

I strongly believe if I could have exited out of the VLAN database I would have answered this question correctly and passed this exam.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Samul wrote:
    No, I didn't inform the administrator. I was too upset to hold a decent conversation with someone. I didn't see how she could have helped. She was a librarian not a Cisco proctor God. By the time I got the test administrator, my precious time would have been ticking away.

Like I said in my previous post:
    Webmaster wrote:
    You should contact Prometric or Pearson VUE instead, explain it in detail, and you'll likely get a free voucher, 'if' you reported it at the test center at the end of the exam.

It doesn't matter whether she could have helped or not. And you don't need to be a Cisco proctor God to do her job (apart from that, being polite rather than a wiseguy usually works better). But if you would have let the test admin know about it at the end of the test, or during the test, she would have reported the issue as well (if you would ran out of time because of the reporting, you'd surely get a free 2nd shot). When the test site reports the issue as well, it basically ensures Cisco/Pearson Vue that you didn't make it all up on the back home from the test center. I don't think anyone here doubts there was something wrong with the sim, and you indeed would have passed if it didn't happen. And I wouldn't assume they assume anything yet. The problems with the sims, and testing software in general, aren't that uncommon.

Anyway, the case is still open. So I suggest waiting for their reply (and stay calm a bit longer ;). You might be surprised, as they surely take it seriously also considering your score.