Lynda.com vs PluralSight and CBT Nuggets

DrekkoDrekko Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys

Just wondering, if anyone has used Lynda?

Our company offers it but when I checked there wasnt much stuff on there for real IT technical courses

from looking at it, they look like just random topics where as PluralSight and CBT actually cover each topic that are covered in the real Vendor Exams

Am I right or am I not searching Lynda properly?

Comments

• Manny92Manny92 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would also try to look at Udemy which are solid on topics. icon_wink.gif
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think they all have benefits.
    lynda.com has less tech stuff, but they are getting more.
    plural sight has some good things, cheaper than cb the nuggets.
    cbt nuggets has good tech courses. The guy that does a lot of windows courses and tech stuff is annoying.
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think on udemy it depends on course.
    joe Phillips with CAPM and PMP is excellent. Nice handouts.
    if you look you can find steep discounts with coupons.
    courses can be $10 to $20 on discount.
  • GlynixxGlynixx Member Posts: 138
    Pluralsight is very good and much less expensive than CBT Nuggets (they've lost their mind on the pricing.) Competition is getting stiff so they better figure out a better pricing model.
    Check out www.manager-tools.com for some great management training for free!
  • bsjj27bsjj27 Member Posts: 24 ■■□□□□□□□□
    wow there is a lot of information on Pluralsight
  • bsjj27bsjj27 Member Posts: 24 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the info
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    CBT Nuggets courses are almost completely based on vendor tests/certifications. Lynda is kind of disjointed with topics all over the place but has everything from speed reading to crypto to photography.
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I like pluralsight. I used to be a big CBT Nuggets guy when I was in Microsoft land and Jeremy the Cisco trainer is one of the best trainers I've ever learned from. That said Pluralsight has a ton of VMware content and is cheaper. They also don't teach to an exam so there is more to do than study for a test.

Want to learn powercli? Want to see what's new in vSphere 6? there's a class for that even if there isn't a test for it.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Glynixx wrote: »
    much less expensive than CBT Nuggets (they've lost their mind on the pricing.) Competition is getting stiff so they better figure out a better pricing model.

What does CBT Nuggets cost anyway? My company pays for it, I haven't used it much recently, but it's nice to know it's available if I need it.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Personally, I have found a lot to be desired in all of the video training options. I would expect them to be refined and polished, but they simply brush over topics and walk you through a couple of tasks at a rather quick pace. They need to spend more time explaining how things work behind the scenes and what that means to you. It may be more than what people are asking for, but it gives you true knowledge; if you have this sort of level in your mind, you can easily visualize problems and see where the breakdown is mentally.

To me... the videos sound more and more like the adults in the Peanuts cartoons... "mwa ma wa mwa mah... *jargon*, *tla*... ma wah"
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    What does CBT Nuggets cost anyway? My company pays for it, I haven't used it much recently, but it's nice to know it's available if I need it.

It's around $900 per year for an individual. There are price breaks for companies who have multiple licenses. I've had CBT Nuggets for a number of years, excellent information. The trouble is that they are geared for certifications which means that each course is going to have like 24 hours of videos or more, and finding that kind of time is difficult. But then again, I'm just making excuses.

Worth the money imo, if you're going to use it. If you're just paying for it and not learning then cancel it and start sending me checks please.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CBT is a solid choice, at least for the CCNA. I didn't think their Juniper videos were as good as the Cisco ones though. I have not used the other two yet, but they are on my list.
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    I really liked CBT. Ive tried lynda and pluralsight. The CCNA in CBT is really good!
  • dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    Just throwing this out there...

You can get Pluralsight free for 3 months through the MS Dreamspark program.

You can also get free access to Lynda if you're a veteran.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow