Ways to retain information from boot camps/self study for the long term?

maj0maj0 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm a little frustrated in the fact of not being able to recall some information from my self-study and boot camps months later. Posting here to see if anyone else has ideas on how better to retain information learned or learning to be "okay" with not knowing everything at any given moment.

I often expect myself to walk around like a text book being able to recall every little thing about Microsoft technologies or Cisco networking for example - it pains me having to look into books to jog my memory.

Obviously one week boot camps are NOT the way to retain information for the long-term as opposed to repetition and practice. I currently have my hands in servers, networking, and security and it's like my I'm in a fog sometimes...maybe information overload. I'm expecting too much? How can I expect to remember stuff that I only needed for exam purposes but not real world work (yet this frustrates me)?

Does anyone here have suggestions on how to go about either retaining info, focusing, or letting go on trying to be a walking-wiki?

Thanks!

Comments

• UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    If you don't use it you lose it! You don't have to be a walking wikipedia, that's what Google for.

Best way to retain information and build on it is to actually use it on the job. If you don't have such opportunity at work, change jobs, if you can't, LAB!

Don't aim to just retain what you learned, but aim to build on top of it, and use it so much that it becomes a second nature.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I agree with UnixGuy. If you work with the technologies on a regular basis, the terms and concepts will become a "second language". I used to be fluent in Spanish and American Sign Language, but since I haven't used either of them in years, I doubt I could easily form a standard sentence easily. On the other hand, I've been studying computers as a hobby for so long, that most of what I learn "just makes sense".
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It depends, at least for me.. Are you looking for just for theory knowledge or application of knowledge? When I was originally studying security concepts I had a more difficult time remember some concepts.. But now that I work with VPNs a lot, the same knowledge I struggled to remember is now second nature.

Things become easier to remember when you are able to apply the and understand the reason behind the theory. At least that is the way it works for me.
  • renacidorenacido Member Posts: 387 ■■■■□□□□□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    If you don't use it you lose it! You don't have to be a walking wikipedia, that's what Google for.

Best way to retain information and build on it is to actually use it on the job. If you don't have such opportunity at work, change jobs, if you can't, LAB!

Don't aim to just retain what you learned, but aim to build on top of it, and use it so much that it becomes a second nature.

^^^ This.

Boot camps are good for 2 things:

- Going from total n00b to basic proficiency in minimal time, especially in a hands-on skill that you'll be using from then on
    - Filling in gaps in your knowledge and proficiency from your previous self-study or training after using the skills/tech for a while

Boot camps suck for:

- Going from n00b to mastery
    - Permanent tattooing of skills/knowledge on your brain that will still be fresh 6 months later

Boot camps need to be either "just in time" to begin a related project requiring the new skills, or after attaining a solid proficiency and experience to fill in gaps that occur due to limitations or particulars of your environment or sector.