Options

entry level CCNA jobs

no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello! I passed my CCNA back in December and have been on the hunt for entry level network jobs, however they don't seem to exist. Everything that comes up in my job search is way over my head. Do you guys have any tips on how to break into the networking field without any real world Cisco experience? Or what type of jobs I should look for? I have looked at some NOC jobs but they were all high level positions. I'm getting a bit discouraged at this point since I spent a good amount of time studying for my CCNA. I've been in the IT field for almost 5 years now doing desktop support.
A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!

Comments

• Options
    techiietechiie Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Keep looking not all NOC jobs are high level. I see plenty in the NYC tri-state area with low level NOC jobs for people with 0-2 years of experience with a CCNA.
  • Options
    NVLadyNVLady Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How about looking internally? Perhaps, you can find someone you mentor you internally, which will eventually help you land a networking job. Good luck!
  • Options
    NVLady wrote: »
    How about looking internally? Perhaps, you can find someone you mentor you internally, which will eventually help you land a networking job. Good luck!

Unfortunately, workplace politics have taken their toll and our engineering team has decided to go other routes (since I am currently a contractor). Been here for almost four years but there's no way to move up. I've been told for the past 2.5 years that they want to bring me on full time. I've gotten 3 certifications since I've started this job and no one has batted an eye which is why I'm trying to find other jobs.

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

• Options
    NVLadyNVLady Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    no!all! wrote: »
    Unfortunately, workplace politics have taken their toll and our engineering team has decided to go other routes (since I am currently a contractor). Been here for almost four years but there's no way to move up. I've been told for the past 2.5 years that they want to bring me on full time. I've gotten 3 certifications since I've started this job and no one has batted an eye which is why I'm trying to find other jobs.

Crud! I am sorry to hear it. I hope you are able to get out of there and soon!
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I see quite a few SOC and NOC jobs that are low level. I've applied at some recently without realizing how entry-level they were based on their requirements (and of course they don't post the salary range). So depends on your area of course, but they are definitely out there.
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If the NOC jobs seem high level, they're probably expecting a little too much based on the role. You should apply to them anyway.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    DrackarDrackar Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    NOCs and SOCs these days shouldn't need a whole lot of experience and knowledge to get in. I would say, keep trying. There always seems to be open NOC/SOC positions (Varying degrees of experience) in the DC area. For what its worth.If you have the means while you wait, look up your ideal job. Take a look at the prerequisites and try to match them. Try to knock out the "low hanging fruit" first. The first few "wins" will serve as great motivation to keep you on that track in the mean time.
    To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other.
    -- Kokoro by Natsume Sosek, 1914, Japan
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice guys! I'm going to just go ahead and apply for some NOC jobs. Do you think after a few years at a NOC job I would be more marketable for a network admin/engineer job?

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's a good point that I should have mentioned...These jobs have extremely high requirements in the job posting so I'd just apply anyway. One of the SOC jobs I applied to wanted a degree, certs, several years IT experience, and at least a year of infosec experience, experience with a SIEM, PCI, SOX, etc etc and they said their salary range was 25k-32k when they called me. So either they have no clue what they are looking for or they just post high requirements in the hope of somehow catching an overqualified person to work for a discounted rate.
  • Options
    Good point, I am worried though about salary, currently I make $25/hr and a lot of salary ranges I've been seeing are well below what I'm currently making. I'm also afraid of getting low balledicon_rolleyes.gif

• Options
    Mike RMike R Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would just assume you will be lowballed. General business practices want to pay you the least amount possible, just counter back with a higher wage. If you have the IT knowledge and can prove it in a technical interview there's no reason not to get paid a reasonable amount.
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Kinet1c wrote: »
    If the NOC jobs seem high level, they're probably expecting a little too much based on the role. You should apply to them anyway.

^^ THIS!

I see all too many times NOC jobs requiring anywhere between 5 and even 10 years of experience. Don't let this deter you. Apply to everything remotely involving networking. Someone will sooner or later will bite. I app'd to over 100 jobs before I landed my first networking job. I was in the same boat, struggling to find someone to take me. I went on several interviews too. Some of those were for places willing to interview me even if the job wasn't a fit. I saw this as great interviewing experience, which you should too. Eventually I found a place that was not only a fit for my experience level but also ended up being an awesome place to learn and grow (I'm still with the same company)

It will happen. Keep hacking at it!

Good luck!
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi