Options

Last thread about quitting (I promise)

si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
In late January, I posted this: http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/117017-want-quit-spot.html

Yesterday, I posted this: http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/117944-so-i-had-argument-colleague-today.html

FYI: It was the same lazy colleague in January that started acting like that yesterday. But I digress.

Yesterday, I saw a senior forensic post with the police but the deadline was up. This is the same force who offered me a junior job but I turned it down due to the low offer. However, this time they are offering good money for the senior forensic role. So I emailed them and said: "Can I apply for the role despite missing the deadline, as I saw the job closed yesterday?". They said that unfortunately I couldn't apply because the deadline is up, but that the role is going to be re-advertised as no one was hired".

So i've applied for that. The deadline is approx 2 weeks from now, then there's shortlisting, interviews and then the contract gets sent out. So i've currently got 3 job applications in: the senior forensic role, a security/forensics role (more malware based) and a Junior QA role for a software development company.

So the question is. Do I take a gamble and send 30 days notice to my boss today and hope I get one of the 3 roles, or wait it out. I know I asked this last time, and I stayed because the majority of people said stay, but after yesterday's argument with a colleague, the toxic work conditions and the sheer lack of work/security in my role, is it worth just pinning my hopes on getting 1 of the 3 jobs? I'm wondering how badly it would affect my chances of getting one of those jobs if I was to just tell them: "I wasn't in the industry I wanted to be in, plus I have had to relocate, hence handing in my notice at my previous job so I could sort that out, but I am ready to start asap." Or should I seriously just stick with it, put up with the unbearable, toxic conditions until I do get a contract elsewhere?

Thanks guys. Last time i'll ask. And i'll tell you when I get a new job.

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    NO, don't gamble. Stick in there.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    I know its hard but I would wait it out - especially if only for thirty days. Landing a job with no current job is not fun. Plus, how do you know you will get any of these positions. I hope you do, and good luck!
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What would be the plus side of leaving before you know you have another job? Not working with the annoying people anymore? Doesn't seem like a good reason to leave early imo.

And the downside would be you possibly not getting any of those jobs and you stop getting paychecks. I guess that might not be a huge deal if you have a bunch of money saved up. But even if you do have money saved up, you then have to explain to future jobs you apply to why you aren't working anymore. What would be your reason you tell them? "I didn't like the people and place where I worked at before so I quit"

I don't see a plus side to leaving from my view.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    and remember you will be asked in the future of why you left your job (if you just quit)..and you have to explain why. What about a reference in the future?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    DON'T EVER LEAVE a job without having something lined up, even if you have money to live on while you hunt for a new one (for reasons mentioned above). I totally feel you though man. I've been in a similar situation with a team lead of mine and I went on a rage of applying for new jobs internally with my company. Turns out I actually got an interview and an offer, however I never once considered what a horrible fit it would be for me until I was given the offer. I wasted people's time which I regret, however it was a tremendous learning experience for me to not let my emotions drive my actions.

Hold the course for now man. Keep applying for new positions. Eventually something will work out and you will be out of there. Try to turn the negative energy into positive motivation to do more for yourself to put you into a position to move up and on from where you are at now. This is something I too have to remind myself of constantly because I work in a high stress environment, the pay is "okay" at best, and the mgmt is nothing to write home about. Invest in yourself and don't worry about the little things at work right now, it will pay off in the end.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks guys. I'll stick it out because of the overwhelming amount of people saying I should stay. I cannot wait to get out of this place.
  • Options
    RoyalRavenRoyalRaven Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For a sports analogy - that's why they play the games. We'd all be rich if we knew we could always bet correctly.

Stick with what you got (ride it out just long enough to scoot) and give these opportunities a chance to sort themselves out. Heck, another opportunity could be right on the horizon, but leaving without the next one ready might be very difficult to justify in the future.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277

(sorry I had to)

Wait it out.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you're bugging if you put in your notice now, and haven't even interviewed for any roles, let alone got an offer from one....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)