Options

Listing certifications on resume?

techtiatechtia Member Posts: 144
Hello,

How do you list certs on your resume?
Do you list the dates received or the date the cert expires, or both?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can list your current valid certifications, no dates necessary. I would not list any expired ones. If need be, you can supply your license number so the potential employer can verify.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    No, not expired ones. What I meant was, I just received my A+ in February, should I list it as:

CompTIA A+ (February 2016) or CompTIA A+ (2016-2019) or neither

Thanks
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes, as I mentioned, no dates necessary. For example: CompTIA A+ and that's all.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I list them but do not include the dates. I like to see them on applicants. Some people don't really buy into certs, but I'm on the wagon that does. I see a lot of value in them and in the type of people who go after them for the right reasons.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't list any dates. If they are valid it really shouldn't matter.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    as danny said, valid certs, no dates....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,232 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I currently have mine listed like this:

Certifications
    August 2015 GIAC Certified Incident Handler (GCIH), ID 25980
    June 2015 Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), ID 486902
    March 2014 Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) Security, ID CSCO11763829

I used to just put them all one one line: CISSP, GCIH, CCNP Security, etc, but I prefer the way I have it now.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    I wanted to include the date because I wanted to show that I worked for a certificate shortly after I quit my last job. Hoping that it would show that I am using my time wisely in-between but maybe I will take the date off, we'll see.
  • Options
    MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you are posting your resume on one of the career sites (Monster, Indeed, CareerBuilder...etc) I suggest using the short name with no parenthesis. This allows a search for keywords to not miss your certification when ran by a recruiter looking to fill a position with that specific certification.
  • Options
    renacidorenacido Member Posts: 387 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mitechniq wrote: »
    If you are posting your resume on one of the career sites (Monster, Indeed, CareerBuilder...etc) I suggest using the short name with no parenthesis. This allows a search for keywords to not miss your certification when ran by a recruiter looking to fill a position with that specific certification.

^^^ THIS. Make it Google-friendly.

Good way to do it: CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional)

Bad way to do it: CompTia A/N/S/L/P+

I don't put license numbers or dates on the resume, too much clutter. I do put the license numbers on my online profiles. I've never been asked to provide them.

If your certs are old, be prepared to show that you've maintained your skills in other ways, via work accomplishments for example. If your last MS certs were from Windows Server 2003, you can easily dismiss any issue with that by telling them how you managed migration of servers from Win2008 to Win2012. Hiring managers and interview panel members know there are companies that don't fund or value certification, and that most of us progress and maintain our tech skills on the job. When lifecycle management or business needs dictate that we refresh or upgrade, we get smart on the new tech and if we get some actual training with it, let alone a cert exam voucher, that's a bonus. Some places actually promote pofessional development and send folks to SANS courses or to get their Cisco/MS/RH/VMware certs. Not everyone gets to get on that gravy train though, and most people understand this is reality.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    techtia wrote: »
    I wanted to include the date because I wanted to show that I worked for a certificate shortly after I quit my last job. Hoping that it would show that I am using my time wisely in-between but maybe I will take the date off, we'll see.

You can say all that in the interview if they inquire about it. Better explain it there, then hope they assume it just by looking at your resume.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    EagerDinosaurEagerDinosaur Member Posts: 114
    I list both old and new certifications, in an attempt to show that I have been continuously upgrading my skills. For example, I list both my 2015 MCSD (.NET v4) and my 2009 MCTS (.NET v2), although the MCTS doesn't actually have an expiry date.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I list both old and new certifications, in an attempt to show that I have been continuously upgrading my skills. For example, I list both my 2015 MCSD (.NET v4) and my 2009 MCTS (.NET v2), although the MCTS doesn't actually have an expiry date.

old vs new is different from Valid vs Expired....you should never put an expired cert on your resume or profile...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)