Options

CASP Passed

OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
I don't normally post these, but the CASP was a strange experience.

I had originally planned to sit the exam last year, and even bought a voucher, but caught up with other areas. Then in February this year I realised the voucher was going to expire soon, so I booked the exam, and gave myself a couple of weeks to study - on top of the other stuff.

I used the Sybex CASP Study Guide 2nd Edition by Michael Gregg and the Pearson CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP) CAS-002 Cert Guide by Robin Abernathy and Troy McMillan. I can't say that I was overly impressed with either book, though.

I'd also recently read a good chunk of Information Security: The Complete Reference 2nd Edition by Mark Rhodes-Ousley, which is a much better book and covers a lot of the same ground.

I also had the advantage of completing Security+ (for the 2nd time), CEH and CCNA Security in the last 6 months, so a good bit of the material was familiar.

The exam was surprisingly long. The simulations slowed me down a bit. I wasn't confident that I'd pass when I was doing the exam. Quite a few questions were really "best answer" type, where the best answer wasn't perfect, or where there was more than one good answer and it was hard to see which was best.

There was one simulation which seemed a bit dubious to me. Almost like it was written by someone without a good understanding of the technical details.

They don't give you a score, but they do give you a list of 'areas of weakness'. That list was quite long for me. So, the pass mark might not be that high.

In my part of the world, I've never seen CASP in a job listing, so I assume it probably has low value and probably low recognition. But it is a good way to recertify your CompTIA certs, and does seem to sit nicely in the middle of InfoSec, and does prepare the 'technician' for a more managerial/business role (there's a real lack of this, I'm finding).
2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM

Comments

• Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Yes, the graphical and command line simulations are kinda brutal.

Going for CISSP next?
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    CISSP is on my list, but probably not this year. I took a 10 week break from any study, and it has pushed some of my plans into next year.

At the moment I'm filling in the last gaps in the infrastructure technologies - MCSA, RHCE and CCNP. After that, a bit more Info Sec, and looking at cloud stuff.

The annoying thing about their sims is that they aren't fully accurate in the way they work. No where near the Cisco standard. I guess because they are trying to do so much, there's bound to be some holes.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    congrats, I thought the test was brutal, and I agree about the Sims, it was nice to have a change of pace on a CompTIA exam, but maybe since they are Vendor neutral, they just seemed odd.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.