Options

Advice for help desk job search in NYC

AdlerAdler Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

So far I've done Indeed and my college's job board but nothing. I don't have any background with IT work other than I built my PC a few yrs ago. I did read through A+ materials and now working on N+ but somewhat limited by funds.

I'm very wary of online job boards since I have a low call back rate and wondering if I'm missing out. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Resume

BTW: I started Computer Info Systems in college but still in process as I plan to transfer to WGU once I've passed N+.

Comments

• Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Your resume is the issue when your not getting call backs. And honestly it needs work. Right now your resume doesnt really outline what you bring to the table, doesnt have many keywords and likely isnt getting read.

Attached is a sample resume. its for a CIO, but the concepts and formatting are what i want you to emulate in your resume. Also move your technical skills above your experience. And for each job, have a brief description and 3 bullets with significant accomplishments.

tate-cameron---cio-resume-new.pdf
  • Options
    Your resume is the issue when your not getting call backs. And honestly it needs work. Right now your resume doesnt really outline what you bring to the table, doesnt have many keywords and likely isnt getting read.

Attached is a sample resume. its for a CIO, but the concepts and formatting are what i want you to emulate in your resume. Also move your technical skills above your experience. And for each job, have a brief description and 3 bullets with significant accomplishments.

tate-cameron---cio-resume-new.pdf

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure if I could add much details for technical exp unless I could add self-taught knowledge?
  • Options
    Adler wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure if I could add much details for technical exp unless I could add self-taught knowledge?
    Im not really referring to experience. More your formatting and how you get words across. your resume doenst tell me a ton about what you bring to the table. You can have zero experience and still have a good resume. You want it to look like you spent alot of time making your resume look great. Right now it looks bland. Work on the formatting, beef up your technical skills, use that resume as a template and repost.
  • Options
    Alright, here's my 2nd attempt and I tried to keep in one page since I don't have much exp other than the 1 job.
  • Options
    Any advice would be great. Thanks.
  • Options
    Adler wrote: »
    Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Still needs work. "Work on the formatting, beef up your technical skills, use that resume as a template and repost."

Windows 7 is the only os you have worked with? Office is the only software you have used? You need to go look at job postings(or resumes on indeed) and see what they ask for and use that as a guide for stuff you can add to your resume. Also check your bullets. Some have periods, others do not. This needs to be flawless. Also the formatting of the jobs are fine but can you describe a little more of what you did?
  • Options
    Still needs work. "Work on the formatting, beef up your technical skills, use that resume as a template and repost."

Windows 7 is the only os you have worked with? Office is the only software you have used? You need to go look at job postings(or resumes on indeed) and see what they ask for and use that as a guide for stuff you can add to your resume. Also check your bullets. Some have periods, others do not. This needs to be flawless. Also the formatting of the jobs are fine but can you describe a little more of what you did?

I added Vista and XP but most familiar with Win7. I have used other AV and anti-malware but office seems to be always on everyone's resume for some reason.

Thanks for the advice for looking at other similar resumes did help me out a lot with ideas.

3rd Revised Resume