Options

Creating system image in Windows Backup

Robbo777Robbo777 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi, I want to create a system image of my C drive that has W7 on it, i have used 267GB of a possible 279GB, when windows says its about to create the image on my external HDD that has 290GB free, it starts the backup but then says it cant complete it because it requires 317GB of space. How is this possible when the whole drive is 279GB and i have used 267GB?
I dont have system restore on so no restore points have been saved also.

Why does it shoot up to 317GB? What could be causing it?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Where are you going to save the backup image? From your other thread with the pics linked showing your hard disks you don't have the necessary space unless you got another drive we didn't see yet.
  • Options
    I managed to borrow a friends external HDD today with enough space for it but do you or anyone have any idea why it shoots up to almost 320GB?? Is it just windows being.....windows
  • Options
    DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Robbo777 wrote: »
    I managed to borrow a friends external HDD today with enough space for it but do you or anyone have any idea why it shoots up to almost 320GB?? Is it just windows being.....windows

I suspect it's like other operations Windows can do involving the HDDs. Sometimes it will need space to work and cache files.
  • Options
    I suspect it's like other operations Windows can do involving the HDDs. Sometimes it will need space to work and cache files.

More than likely, at the time its a bit misleading, in future developments of it i hope they specify all the required space even for cached files and possible restore points.