Options

CCNA: R&S or Security

nathandrakenathandrake Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
I was enrolled in WGU's MSISA program. I was part of the program when the CCENT certification was part of it. That cert is going to expire in November, so I'd like to "upgrade" it, so I don't end up losing it. Since I'm more so focused on security, I'm thinking that CCNA Security would be the best path to go. However, I've read comments on various message boards that you really need to have a pretty good understanding of the material covered in the ICND 200-101 exam before attempting the CCNA Security.

I'm wondering what are some thoughts from people that took both ICND 200-101 and then the CCNA security. Is it possible to jump right into the CCNA Security path right after the CCENT, or is it recommended to learn the material from the ICDN 200-101 first?

Since it has been a few years, I am currently freshening up on what I learned from ICND 100-101 before I attempt either path.

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I personally think it will be on what your goals are. If you are actually looking to get more into networking, then R&S would be the place to go.

The CCNA:Sec will cover how to configure an ASA and how to protect your network against a bunch of different types of attacks. So you just want to keep your cert up to date and learn about those types of things. The Security cert would be the place to go.

edit: Also, I've been going through the CCNA:Sec material and feel the CCENT is definitely a good enough foundation for the CCNA:Sec exam. Haven't taken the actual test though. Have it scheduled for the end of the month.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info NetworkNewb. I'm definitely more interested in the security aspect and very little in the R&S aspect. I was just concerned that I could be a little lost jumping from CCENT to CCNA Security without fully learning everything from the R&S path. Wasn't sure how much of the info you'd learn from the R&S would lapse over to the Security exam.
  • Options
    SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    Whilst I don't think it is 100% needed to have routing and switching fundamentals first, it certainly does help. In my opinoin you need to know how packets flow around a network before you break your pings and traceroutes by sticking an ASA in the middle.

I would recommend getting CCNA: R&S and maybe even CCNP:R&S before heading into the NA:Sec. The reason for this is a lot of what you learn in NP:R&S covers the NA:Sec material.
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle
  • Options
    Thanks Simrid. That makes a lot of sense. That's probably the route I'll end up going. Not quite sure if I'll end up going the CCNP route before Security, but definitely the CCNA R&S first.
  • Options
    jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with Simrid, I'd go R&S over Security just for the base knowledge you'll get from it. Branch off into security from that point
  • Options
    FadakartelFadakartel Member Posts: 144
    I agree with the rest of guys here, go with R&S 1st as its the bread and butter of networks today, also i would hold off on doing ccnp security until you get more experience with Cisco security appliances. Also get more exposure to different top net sec vendors like Fortinet, Palo alto Checkpoint, Sonicwall etc.
  • Options
    fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261
    I would say to complete CCNA R&S first. You need the fundamentals before you can do anything else. I'm working on mine now and learning a lot.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    CCNA Sec is very much focussed on Cisco technologies - securing their technologies (routers + switches) and using their security features (AAA, TACAS, VPN). It's the kind of thing you'd only do if you were working with Cisco technologies, and you aren't likely to be doing that without CCNA R+S.

There is some general theory in there, which can apply to other areas, but it's a long way to go to get that general knowledge.

But having said that, you can pass CCNA Sec without CCNA R+S. I passed without having sat the ICND2 exam, and some rough ICND2 knowledge. The question is just "what do you do with it?".
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Everyone made ggreat points, so I'm going to go head and focus on getting the R&S before my CCENT expires in Nov. Then I'll focus on getting the Security cert.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    OctalDump wrote: »
    But having said that, you can pass CCNA Sec without CCNA R+S. I passed without having sat the ICND2 exam, and some rough ICND2 knowledge. The question is just "what do you do with it?".

That was I was thinking when I thought he should do the CCNA:Sec. I figured it sounded like he wasn't doing any configuring on a network equipment or even wanted to. That his goals were to get into Security and renew his CCENT... The CCNA:sec will teach him a few security concepts and how configure a firewall and get his CCENT renewed.

The Cisco exams go over how to configure their equipment exclusively and if your planning on focusing on Security I thought it was a little crazy some people even suggested the CCNP. Maybe my Security role isn't as technical as others, but if I need anything done on in regards to routing/switching on my companies network I will talk with the Network Engineers. Just depends on what your job aspirations are and what area of Security you want to go into though.

If I needed to understand a networking topic I would watch a few youtube videos on it. I wouldn't spend a ton of time learning the commands to configure it on Cisco's equipment. Again, I'd leave that to my network team.